You know what I hate?

I hate when your fishing for river run kings and you come across a hole that has about 100 of em in it, theres not another person around for miles, just you and the fish, and you can't get em to bite for nothin.

Don't know if it was just too hot this past weekend or maybe my skeins weren't fresh enough for em, or what. But I could not get them things to bite to save my life. Caught smallmouths and catfish, and even a big ole nasty carp, (actually put up a decent fight) but those stupid salmon would not bite anything I threw at em :angry2:

Hope everyone else is doing better!

Capt. Dan had a great post on here about how he caught some river Kings in the PM over the weekend using Pink Jet Divers and a golf ball sized Skein spawn. Caught a couple of beauties doing that including one 24#er. Maybe the addition of the jet was enough to aggrivate them?...I had some beautiful spawn this week, but i sent it down the grinder since i rarely river fish and didnt know anyone who wanted it.

I had some cured and some un cured. All of it had been frozen at one time though. I tried casting plugs and spinners too. The smallmouths were biting good on the spinners, but no salmon.

Some days are just like that. River kings can be some of the no bitingest fish you ever saw. Then other times they turn on like gang busters. Just got to be there at the right time and this past weekend wasn't it I guess. Least ways not for me :(

Maybe this next weekend I'll get em :)

Erik.

River Kings can be the most fickle fish in the world as you mentioned in your post. Air temp, type of day, water temp, river flow, color, how many fish are in the river, moon phases and probably several other things I haven't learned about after 40 years of chasing them. Even when their biting, there always seem to be a time period during the morning, day of evening when they bite best. Other days they're jumping all around you but won't touch nothing. I've had plenty of those days and they are usually when the kings are on the move upstream in mass because of a big Lake push of fresh fish, or after a fresh rain. But the funny part is, I've had my best days when they get stalled from low water and stacked on top of each other in the holes as you described. Try using spawn on the Jets like I did Saturday or bottom bounce spawn back into the hole.

Tie an 18 inch leader of fluorocarbon line to a quality/20 pound tested barrel swivel. Use #6 trebles as the hook. Slide the proper size Egg sinker on the main line before tying it to the swivel, so the egg sinker slides freely up and down the main line above the swivel. Position your boat in the center of the run/hole. Drop the rig behind the boat and lift and drop the whole deal, so it will gradually drift/drop back some with the current, but hit bottom every time you lift and drop. Don't forget the golf ball sized glob of spawn. The hits will be everything from a tap to a slam. Good luck.