River Kings, 8-26-09

When Gatorbait and I arrived this morning at 5:45am on the Pere Marquette River, my trained eye didn't detect anything that would spoil our day if the Kings were in the river. Unfortunetly we soon found out that the river had come up some 4 to 6 inches over night from the heavy rain, and that the majority of the fish that were stacked heavily in this river section yesterday, took that high water opportunity to move upstream.

This happened alot back when I was guiding on the PM. That section between Wallhulla and Indian Bridge is mainly shallow fingers and swamp, and holds many of the spawners below Indian bridge until a fresh rain makes it easier for them to get past this Natural barrier. The heavy rain last night did just that. But there were a few straglers still in the section we fished. So we hit it hard and found 5 of them still silver knuckle busters, with only 2 coming to net.

IMG_0193.sized.jpg

IMG_0190.sized.jpg

IMG_0191.sized.jpg

IMG_0186.sized.jpg

IMG_0188.sized.jpg

IMG_0185.sized.jpg

The sun was shining, and you got a few kings. Nice. Every year I do the same thing, and it gets me all fired up about salmon, because you and I both know that the eyes are tasty, but don't fight near as good as those ugly salmon.

Jason.

I hit another one after the one in the picture. I was setting down casting, resting my legs and looking away, talking to Jeff, and it short hit me right before I was going to lift the crank out of the water. Pulled the rod from my hands and only the gunnel (which was almost shoulder high when I was setting) stopped my Black Max baitcaster from going overboard. The fish was gone when I got it back in my hands. sad2.gifcussing.gif

Thank's Guys.

Always fun to get back to my roots. One of the other surprises I had yesterday was when I got to talk to an old friend and fellow river guide, who passed us in his Jet sled and still guides on both the Muskegon and Pere Marquette for Steelheads and Kings. He asked first how my walleye charters went this year and how my business was. I told him I lowered my prices $40.00 on my Bay trips from last year because of the economy, and even though it started out slow, it turned into one of my best booking seasons ever. He said he did the same thing on the rivers and it improved his bookings over the others as well. Then he asked if I knew what the going rate was now for a river trip. I laughed and said I charged $90.00 for 2 back in 1986 when I started, and was confident enough to have a fish on guarantee back then. Of course having only 2 other drift boats in the state at the time as competition, added to that outcome. But by 2001 there were hundreds of drift boats fishing the rivers, but now you had to be licensed by the Federal Forstry Service on many streams, and I was charging $250.00 per couple then. He says, wulp their asking and getting $450.00 for 2 now. I laughed and said, maybe I should have sold my Grady White bay boat and kept the Drift Boat. Way less work, up-keep and a lot better scenery.

Also ran into a boat load of regulars that I used see and talk to a lot. They regonized me and seemed very happy and surprised to see me. One said he had heard I was dead. I said, I was, but they brought me back just for today. Needless to say, it was very fun and a refreshing change of pace for me yesterday. The kings were just a bonus.:grin:

Nice story Dan. Its always nice to run into old friends. I was in Ludington the other day and ran into Mark from Reel Fishin'. Chatted with him on the net a bit, but hadnt seen him in a coons age. Was good to catch up a bit and exchange some info out on the lake....I read a post he put on another site and it sounds like he will be on a certain jet boat here the next few days..HEHE....Good luck guys.

Nice story Dan. Its always nice to run into old friends. I was in Ludington the other day and ran into Mark from Reel Fishin'. Chatted with him on the net a bit, but hadnt seen him in a coons age. Was good to catch up a bit and exchange some info out on the lake....I read a post he put on another site and it sounds like he will be on a certain jet boat here the next few days..HEHE....Good luck guys.

Ya, Gatorbait and I were supposed to join Mark in Ludinton on Tuesday, but both the weather and the declining bite changed our plans. We'll be back on the river this coming Tuesday in the sled for more close quarters combat. Hitting the bay (and possibly the river) this morning with the brother to see if either is still worth the trouble. Pictures and post to fallow (hopefully) on the proper subject. :grin:

I fish that same stretch of river for steelhead and salmon. I will be fishing it next weekend. Looks like it was a great day on the river. nice job

Good luck if you go Rob. And pray that area don't get to much rain. I love it when they get stalled, and the holes fill right up with them. Makes em real mad and ready to attack anything. :grin:

Before and after pictures. Minus one jar I already ate warm. :P I'm thinking about 16 more jars will hold me for this winter. :grin:

IMG_0186.sized.jpg

IMG_0194.sized.jpg

For those thinking they would like to try this, the process is pretty easy. Skin, fillet and chunk the fish. Soak chunks in salt water 1 hour before canning. Put 2 table spoons of diced unions, 1 1/2 table spoons tomatoe ketchup and 1/2 tea spoon Garlic powder first into bottom of Pint jar. Force as much fish into jar as possible. Top off to just below threads on jar with water. Use wooden spoon to get out any air bubbles and attach lid snugly not tight. Bring pressure cooker to 15 pounds for 50 minutes.

To me there are few things better then this receipt right out of the jar on crackers with your favorite cheese and bottle of pop. But you can use it to make salmon patties or in any recipt the same way you would tuna.

I agree, canned salmon are damned hard to beat. I can eat it right from the can too!!!...and have been know too...lol...I do basically the same thing, i just use some different components.

1 tsp apple cider vinegar

1 tsp canning and pickling salt

1 tbls ketchup or BBQ sauce

pressure can 90 mins at 10# of pressure

I like to mix the salmon with real mayo, diced onion, celery salt. Butter bread, like you would for grilled cheese. Add cheese and salmon and cook on my George Foreman grill until the bread is browned up. Only a couple minutes. Makes for a tasty salmon melt.

• 2 weeks later...

Any one have any new reports they want to give? Was at Allegan dam on the 3rd of september, all we seen there was a few steelhead being caught off the stairs. Not much better the same day at 6th st. dam on the grand. Saw (1) hook up , but a lost salmon . None jumping or going over dam or ladder.

Nobody I've talked to has seen such a weird river run as this years. I certainly have not in my many years of river fishing for kings. Usually by this time 90% of the kings are up and past the lower river sections on the PM. But the main body is still out in the PM lake or in the main lake as far as anybody can tell. The water temps are right but the levels are pretty low. My bud fished the river for the past 3 days and came home with one fish. :angry2:

I agree, canned salmon are damned hard to beat. I can eat it right from the can too!!!...and have been know too...lol...I do basically the same thing, i just use some different components.

1 tsp apple cider vinegar

1 tsp canning and pickling salt

1 tbls ketchup or BBQ sauce

pressure can 90 mins at 10# of pressure

I like to mix the salmon with real mayo, diced onion, celery salt. Butter bread, like you would for grilled cheese. Add cheese and salmon and cook on my George Foreman grill until the bread is browned up. Only a couple minutes. Makes for a tasty salmon melt.

Now you've gone and ^$#%@#$ made me hungry again!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol: