How many of you are small busines owners?

jsenske1

I am just curious to know how many small busines owners are on this site and what type of busines you own? I am considering starting a business and would like some suggestions, etc in this economy. How is busines for you? If service orientated (lawncare, construction, etc) have you had a sharp decline in business? How are you surviving? Look forward to the responses.

I am a builder,we have stayed consistant with the economy, but we have been in buisness since 92. Lately I have been swamped with remodels and other things. We switched gears and went to remodels, also outside contractor for the U of M. Just started doing work for Pilot gas stations also. Gotta have alot of irons in the fire these days!

I am also a licensed Home Builder, since 1987. Mainly working as a Trim Carpenter (that's where Nailer comes from). Like the post above me said, we also had to switch gears and do a lot of the things we would normally say no to. If your going out on your own, you better be a hard worker, because that's what it takes to survive these days.

I run my own business, for the past 10 years I had been doing building/remodeling, however the bottom kind of fell out, so I moved onto another venture. And since I've started the new project it has been an uphill battle. With the climate of the economy I would be prepared to "get by", and like the others said, you need to have a lot of pokers in the fire. Things started off pretty good last fall and then it kind of went south. But lately business, for me, is booming and on the way up. One of the biggest things is to have vision of what's down the road and not the here and now. Also I think attitude is very important. Networking is good to, the more people you talk to about what you are doing the better, you would be amazed the results of knowing people in diverse industries. Best of luck to you

I like what i see so far. I too, am a licesend builder but haven't built since 07. Wheeler-what is your latest venture if you don't mind me asking? I have been in the const business for over 15 yrs, currently a project manager. would like to start a "service" type business.

I am a small business owner, we distribut Fasteners and Automotive components to Tier 1 suppliers, business has been great since 2006 but right now we are scraping by on every order we get. It's not easy,Nobody wants you to succeed even the Government,they Tax the Crap out of you. SAles have fallen 50% or more, but they will recover, one thing you must practice as a small business owner....NEVER EVER STOP SWIMMING...which means if you make use of the word CAN'T, you wont make it, that word cannot exist and it doesn't for me...Nor my office manager ( my Wife).

I am networking my customers everyday, getting new quotes everyday to work on and even though I only may get one of these quotes a month, it's new business...and ANY new business is a great thing right now.....

I want you to remember this right now.....Bill Gates...started Microsoft in a recession worse then this one.. meaning you can do anything, just Keep Swimming, keep swimming keep swimming......

And no your not in the Movie Finding Nemo.....I feel a small business, is a constant battle for your sanity and your income.....I've strapped on my Boots and I'm ready for battle everyday, it's been 20 years....and I still fell like I'm going under.... tomorrow. I am not alone in this feeling, I talk to a lot of small business owners everyday, they are my customers as well............. Good Luck and well.... Keep swimming.

I just started a small business this spring doing construction and remodeling. Work for me has been pretty steady for the most part. One thing that has helped me out was getting locked in with a restoration company. The restoration company brings us in as a sub to do the put-back on homes with water or fire damage. The work is generally not much fun, lots of hard work, and really messy. On the plus side, the work I am getting is almost entirely insurance work, and the state of the economy doesn't effect the amount of work I receive.