Muskegon 23 Aug - GLFTT Event

We fished the final qualifying event for the GLFTT today. Ended up 7 for 8(9?). 6 chinook, and 1 coho.

On the way out in the morrning, the channel was loaded with bait fish. Seeing this on the fish finder, we switched to plan B, and ran out to 40FOW, hoping the lake had rolled. NOT!

Making the best out of a wrong call, we set lines and trolled out to 80FOW. Once we hit 80FOW, we picked up our first fish. At 9:30, we were in front of Mona Lake, sitting on 3 fish. I made the call to pull lines, and we ran 6 miles North, and we dropped in at 100FOW. I started setting the 3rd line when the second rigger fired! We worked this area for the last 1:45 more hours and picked up 3 more fish before it was time to pull lines to run in.

We picked up:

2 fish on a Blue Mylar Silver Horde plug.

2 fish on a Blue Mylar Silver Horde ACE Hi

2 fish on a Green Mylar Silver Horde plug

1 fish on a Double Glow Chartruse Splatter back

I do not remember the lure we lost our fish on.

We had one full core with a 4oz dive bomb and a Green Chrome Splatter Back Silver Horde ACE Hi, break off at the board. I am not sure if this was because a fish hit it, or it just came apart. We did recover the board.

All of our fish came from 80-100FOW. A 1/2 core took a coho. Everything else came from 50+ feet deep. Most were within 20' of the bottom.

Here is a picture of our catch today.

100_1994.jpg

Congrats Mike as you know we did the same thing you did this morn. I had the morning battle plan fully laid out to run north to Whitehall and troll back thru the fish. Except I also noticed the baitfish and huge marks in the channel and inside the arms and made the decision to fish out front and then run north if it did not work. We were 2 for 4 when I heard the other guys reporting how they were doing north and I said to myself I am just gonna take the loss and save my boat gas to fish another day. So we stuck it out and fished my bad choice till the end. Advantage to the small boats just could not afford to run in my boat one of many times I miss my 18ft as I am forced to watch my gas gauge.

Hit Saugatuck next weekend, you will probably snag your board and gear. We landed 300 feet of copper, a green spinny with pickled sunshine fly, and a board today as we were pulling gear to head in! Nice work on the fishin' today, sounds like you ended up on plan C. That's awesome.

Hit Saugatuck next weekend, you will probably snag your board and gear. We landed 300 feet of copper, a green spinny with pickled sunshine fly, and a board today as we were pulling gear to head in! Nice work on the fishin' today, sounds like you ended up on plan C. That's awesome.

That sounds like something fishsniffer lost in Muskegon a couple of weeks ago.

SWEEEEET. Wish I could have been on board for this event, but hmmm someone stupid (me) got married in August. But is there really a good time. Turkey season, spring fishing, summer fishing, fall fishing, early bow, bow, shotgun, late doe, muzzle , coyote & fox, rabit, etc.

SWEEEEET. Wish I could have been on board for this event' date=' but hmmm someone stupid (me) got married in August. But is there really a good time. Turkey season, spring fishing, summer fishing, fall fishing, early bow, bow, shotgun, late doe, muzzle , coyote & fox, rabit, etc.[/quote']

yup the best time is mid june. unless ya go to the other side to fish walleyes.

nice job mike.