Wire diver rods breaking

I have had 3 new Okuma Blue Diamond roller rods break off below the reel in the last 10 days. At about $185.00 per rod including the reel plus the cost of the bait, I am close to being out $700.00.

I run mag dipseys on 3, and leave the drags loose enough so they creep and if a fish hits he can take out line. I have run these rods for most of the summer, and they all broke within a week of each other. I would just be trolling along and they would break off in the rod holder.

I bought the gear at Jay's in Clare, and have been in touch with the Okuma rep, and he says that the engineers said they have NEVER had a rod break off below the reel and that it cannot happen. Therefore they will not warranty the rods, or replace the Okuma reels that I had on the rods.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Thanks

The dipsey rods are placed in Great Lakes Rod Holders that are about 9" deep on the inside. The have a cam release so that when you pull the rod towards you they release and swing up to allow easy removal of the rod.

Fish did not hit these rods when they broke, just the tension of the dipsey, given the length of service, and the timing of how all 3 broke so close together, my feeling is that the rods are fatiguing after a short period of time.

Just an update, this morning Bryan Darland at Jay's called to tell me that he had spoken to the Okuma rep, and they will be upgrading my roller rods to the convector series, and replacing the reels. Good news:)

Apparently the Convector series have a stronger blank, and the same roller system as the Shamano Telora rods.

I have the same rods and haven't had an issue there at all, are the rod holders facing the rear of the boat straight out or facing the front of the boat, or maybe you just had a bad batch of rods made .... that's weird....

I havn't had problems with my Okuma rods but I have had two Okuma Magda pro reels break first use. One came off the reel seat, D&R replaced. The other stripped anti reverse gears. Gotta wonder about Okuma's economy lines of products. Probably pays to buy the good stuff first time round.

Just an update, this morning Bryan Darland at Jay's called to tell me that he had spoken to the Okuma rep, and they will be upgrading my roller rods to the convector series, and replacing the reels. Good news:)

That's great news!!!

Wow, never heard of that happening. Im not a big Okuma fan, but am glad to hear theyre going to stand behind their product....Too bad they wouldnt do it on their own though instead of you having to push the issue and get the people from Jays involved.

Well Tony dont feel your alone now!:eek: I was running my blue diamonds on tuesday night and had one break on the rod holder also!!!! :angry2: but i was fortunate to have it break above the reel and didnt lose anything, I did call fish-on bait and tackle where i purchased them in april and they replaced without a question. I give a huge thanks to them for their great customer service.:D But now what about the other???? feel i might tie it to the boat now in case i have one break below the reel????!!!!! what is going on with this rod!

We busted off the same rod at the reel two weeks ago that I purchased new this spring. I lost everything on that breakoff and it sounded like a gun being shot when it busted. I have run Okuma rods almost exclusively for many seasons. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one and I plan be in touch with them about this soon. I replaced the rod with another BD Okuma and the new one even has a slightly different color thread on it. I'm glad Okuma is taking care of you on this and I hope they take care of me as well.