depth raider frustration

"depth raider or something else HELP!!!!!!!!"

i bought the depth raider in may and have used it several times and at several depths and have installed it every possible way and i still am not getting the performance out of it that i should. i know that below 120ft. that it may go out every now and then but evertime i put it down to the depth i want lets say 80-100 ft. it will work for 15-20 minutes the go out. i raise the ball 5 ft. it will come back on for 3-5 min. then go out. raise the ball 5-10 ft. work for 3-5min. then go out raise the ball 5-10ft. will work for 3-5 min. and go out and on and on. i have installed it every possible way including word for word in the installation manual. any suggestuions from you guys would be great. i am getting ready to call curt at kell. and if i can't get it working i am taking it back to cabelas and going to shop for something else. does anyone know if cannon still makes the speed-n-temp? i can't seem to find it as a complete package just replacement sensors or monitors?

I was having problems with my depth raider that I bought at Captain Chucks. They advised me to make sure that the swivel below the probe was able to spin freely, I had used liquid electrical tape to coat everything to prevent signal loss. I also had some nicks in the coated cable from cuts in the front downrigger pulley damaging the coating, so I cut back the cable to remove the damaged portion. I also had connected the probe via the temporary method shown in the instructions so that I could remove the probe at the end of each day of fishing. I changed to the permanent installation using the electrical tape to get a better signal transfer. Finally I put a new battery in, I would plan on changing the battery every 4 or 5 trips just to make sure I have good current.

Since these changes I have run my probe down to 150 per the downrigger counter and have gotten consistent results.

I know that Curt at Kell Labs has been helpful to people in the past. As far as the Canon Speed-N-Temp, it has been discontinued. I have seen the complete units as cheap as $200 on ebay. However, I don't think Canon will support it. I would work on the Depthraider. I know many people who have them and they seem to work great. Good luck.

"depth raider or something else HELP!!!!!!!!"

i bought the depth raider in may and have used it several times and at several depths and have installed it every possible way and i still am not getting the performance out of it that i should. i know that below 120ft. that it may go out every now and then but evertime i put it down to the depth i want lets say 80-100 ft. it will work for 15-20 minutes the go out. i raise the ball 5 ft. it will come back on for 3-5 min. then go out. raise the ball 5-10 ft. work for 3-5min. then go out raise the ball 5-10ft. will work for 3-5 min. and go out and on and on. i have installed it every possible way including word for word in the installation manual. any suggestuions from you guys would be great. i am getting ready to call curt at kell. and if i can't get it working i am taking it back to cabelas and going to shop for something else. does anyone know if cannon still makes the speed-n-temp? i can't seem to find it as a complete package just replacement sensors or monitors?

From what you describe, the antennae has trouble capturing signal from greater depths. Keeping the antennae wet by draping a wet towel over it can improve signal capture and stabilize readings.

Read this on another forum.

HIH

I installed a depth raider on my boat this spring and have had no issues at all. A couple trips ago while motoring out the probe had wrapped around the downrigger arm and then the ball popped out of the cradle and i had one hell of a mess. The coating on the wire was nicked up and stripped off in a couple of places and i was a little worried about putting it down (with replacement probes costing $200 and weights not being cheap either) but we did and have not had a problems with it functioning properly. I can send out over 150 foot of cable and still have no problems getting signal. I have been out about two dozen times this year and have not had to replace the battery. What i am trying to get it is that even though you have had bad luck with your unit i do believe they make a good product and most companies will stand behind their stuff. I would suggest calling the manufacture and seeing if they would replace it for you.

I have had my Depth Raider for 3 years now. I change the battery once each year. My cable has nicks in it and small sections of the coating that has been stripped off. I run it next to my kicker motor and have not had a problem. I even ran it down to 120 fow while on Lake Ontario. I know that Kell Labs will stand behind the product. If you call them they will help you. They want you to be happy.

I love mine. I rigged up a clincher release this year and stripped off more coating that I should have. I was losing signal at about 100 ft. I re-did it and only stripped off a 1/4 inch to attach to the bolt and it fixed the problem. I had problems a couple years ago when the coating on the cable was wore off in a few places. Once I replaced that, it worked great. Kell Labs have great service. I broke mine twice from abuse. Both times the unit got bashed when in my cabin on the road. Once the LCD screen cracked and once the power cord opening got smashed. Both times, I shipped it back to Kell on a Monday and had it back by late the same week. You don't need to change batterys very often either. I don't change mine until it doesn't work, seem to get about 12-18 trips on them depending on long we are out each time.

thanks guys i talked with curt for about an hour last night and he gave me some direction and i will try to explain as i hope it helps everyone. i have mine rigged with the walker clincher method with the tail and terminal end on it. i was getting poor results over 65 ft. bring it up to 55 and would work ok. he has suggested going out and reducing speed to trolling speed and putting the probe and ball down to 80 ft. run it till i loose data then bring it up to 55-60ft. till it runs consistently. then run it back down tio 80ft. as soon as it looses data turn the boat motor off. if it pops back on it's an interference issue with the boat batteries. take and turn the boat battery switch to #1 and if it works keep the battery on #1 position while trolling. if it doesn't work try position #2 if it works troll on position #2 and the when running back and forht to port put batteries back on both to charge them up. if this doesn't work he suggested taking a piece of 16ga. wire approx. 15 ft. and put a terminal end on it and connect it to the neg. side of the battery that the depth raider is hooked to on the other end put a lead drop(ie. bottom bouncer) and drop that end in the water. if this works it's a boat to water ground issue and i need to get the outdrive grounded to the water. i have not tried these yet as i won't b back up till thurs. hope this helps someone. i will let everyone know how it works out. it would be nice if they had put all these tips in a trouble shooting section of the manual.

todd

nut-n-eze