Ludington 8/12 and 8/13

Where to begin...Headed over to Ludington late on Tuesday afternoon. We had plans of fishing the afternoon, but by the time we got there, got settled in at the motel, my gear loaded back on our boat from my buddies boat it was just too late in the day. So, we headed to the Municipal Marina and got a slip. Theyre all booked up and we had to buddy up on a dock...that sucks! So, we get the boat in, a good meal and settle in for the night.

8/12/09 AM

Got up at 3 am Wed morning and on the boat and on the way out by 4. Set down in 250' and 20 minutes later boated our first king of the trip on a daisy cutter moonshine 90' down. That thing took several hits and we ended up changing out the split ring as the fish were pulling it apart. Then we had a lull. So, pointed the boat on a south troll and kicked the speed up. Wasnt long and we started getting to them really well on the dispeys with flashers and flies. Only problem was that we were losing a ton of fish. Theyd hit, scream off, fight em for a bit and were gone or theyd slam the dipsey and be gone before you got the rod outta the holder. *scratch* Let me tell you it had me extremely frustrated as the hooking percentage is very good on flies. Kept picking away at them with the dipseys and and 9 color lead core. As the sun came put the spoon bite died off and the dipseys with flies kept going. So, i finally put a 10" flasher with a 35" lead on the rigger and sent it down. Tried a few depths and once i got it down to 160' it started firing. I think i took five rips on that and boated most of them. We picked away at them until about noon and decided to call it quits for lunch. Ended the morning 10 for 19(1 laker,1 steelhead, 2 coho and 6 Kings) and had three other hits that didnt hook up at all.

Riggers 75, 90 and 160 down w/moonshine daisy cutter and 10" white dbl. crush glow SD w/35" lead to Aqua Glow Fly

Low Wire 180,200,225,255 and 275' back 8" Dbl Crush Glow SD w/Green Glow Chaos fly

High Braid 204, 230 and 240' back 8" Blue Dbl Pearl Glow SD w/Blue Glow Chaos fly, 8" Blue Dolpin SD w/Blue Chaos fly, 8" Blue Bubble SD w/white fly

10 color Ace High Blue Glow Splatter back

Ludington8-12and8-13002.jpg

Ludington8-12and8-13003.jpg

Ludington8-13and8-14007.jpg

Ludington8-13and8-14014.jpg

Ludington8-13and8-14010.jpg

Ludington8-13and8-14013.jpg

Ludington8-13and8-14020.jpg

8/12/09 PM

Later on in the afternoon we headed back out hoping to get our last 5 fish to complete our limit. Before we headed out we ran into a couple buddies who had just got into town. So, they joined us for the evening bite. Headed out to the same waters as we finished the morning up and immediately boxed a king and a laker. Then we had a lull for a bit until the sun dipped down. Then all hell broke loose. Had quad and a couple of doubles. Riggers and dipseys were popping like crazy. Ended up 11 for 13(1 Laker 1 coho and 9 Kings) and had another three rips that never materialized.

Riggers 75 and 90 down w/ MS Daisy Cutter and Turkish Pepper

Low Wire Diver 200,225,255 8" Dbl Crush Glow SD w/Green Glow Chaos fly and 8" Mnt. Dew Glow Blade SD w/Bloody Nose fly

High Braid Diver 175', 240' MS Daisy Cutter, 8" blue Dbl Pearl glow SD w/blue glow chaos fly, 8" Blue Dolphin Sd w/Blue Chaos fly

5 color Yeck Mag Freezer Burn

9 color MS Happy Meal

Ludington8-13and8-14022.jpg

Ludington8-13and8-14023.jpg

Ludington8-13and8-14026.jpg

8/13/09 AM

Got to bed about midnight the night prior and got up this morning at 3 am once again. Felt like a zombie. Headed out to our spot and set up. Didnt mark much at all. Despite that we boated a king at 4:42 am, just 15 minutes into the trip on a MS Daisy Cutter 75' down, imagine that. For the next hour or so we never touched a fish going through all our icons. *scratch* So, we moved in just east of our plot trail from the day prior and when we were about 3/4 of a mile from the end all hell broke loose. We had many doubles and one triple with some big ornery Kings. Ended up boating several 17-19# kings and a fat 22# male. Dad had a monster fish on that i dare say would go 25#+. It was HUGE! He had it about 50' behind the boat after a good 20-25 minute battle. The fish was totally whipped and we readied the net when all of a sudden it just came off for no apparent reason. Reeled the fly in and the rear 4/0 2X strong single hook broke...I dont mean broke the line off, the damn hook broke!!! [wtf] :tantrum: Immediately after the high diver went and Dad had another opportunity. After another long battle i scooped up his beautiful 18#+ King. Good thing the rods were popping and had the starboard side cleared off as that fish went ape **** and we ended up netting it on that side. Out of an 8 rod spread i think we had 3 in on the port side. It was wild. Everytime id try and set a rod we'd get another fish on and have stop, reel it in ect... Plus i had to retie one fly and a rigger rod cause we had a fish get wrapped in two divers.(how mono survived a braid and wire and we got the fish ill never know) Finally got reset and the rods started popping again. Wasnt long and they were nearly cleared again. We finished the morning at 7:50 am with a double. Lost one on the rigger and i landed a 19# King on a 9 color w/MS Happy Meal. Took some pics, picked up our mess and headed in. What a great morning on the water. Ended up 15 for 17(1 steelhead, 1 coho and 13 Kings) and had a couple other rips that didnt hook up.

Riggers 75 and 90' down w/MS Turkish Pepper and Daisy Cutter

Low Wire Diver 200' and 225' back 8" Dbl. Crush Glow SD w/Green Glow Chaos Fly and 8" Mnt. Dew Glow Blade SD w/Bloody Nose fly

High Braid 240' back 8" Green Glow Frog SD w/Glow Lemon Ice Fly and MS Do-Dee K(Had a rip on it, brought the spoon in and the hook was gone!...Split ring was toast!!!)

5 Color Yeck Mag Freezer Burn

9 Color MS Happy Meal

Ludington8-13and8-14034.jpg

Ludington8-13and8-14035.jpg

Ludington8-13and8-14036.jpg

Ludington8-13and8-14039.jpg

Ludington8-13and8-14041.jpg

Ludington8-13and8-14044.jpg

Awesome catch and a great report with even better pics:grin: Those are some hogs, that tail coming out is huge. Stinks that the hook broke on that monster:(. Sounds like a great couple of days out there. Appears u actually had some nice calm weather too. Great Job!:good: