Wire rod set up

I am putting together a couple wire rod set ups and have some questions.

I was planning on using #30 dacron backing, what kind of knot should be used to connect it to 19 strand wire?

Is 500 feet of wire on 300 feet of backing enough or should i use more wire? I am using catalina 45lc's so i have plenty of room i was just wondering if i could get away with a 1000 foot spool for both reels.

I am going to run them on convector gl dipsey rods ( non roller), do I need to use a twilli tip?

Thanks

Dave

Dave, I don't screw around with backing for wire. I just put a 1000' spool on each one. I would use a Twilli Tip, although some don't. It relieves the pressure on the tip. The reason I don't use backing and use a tip are the same: there is very little forgiveness in wire and any small defect can cause you to lose fish and equipment. Just my $.02

Dave,

Hold off on using the 19 strand. I have expierenced fraying with the one rod I am trialing it on. If you tangle with something else, it's the weaker of the two.

Mike i think someone else posted this also, But there was a bad batch of the 19 strand and it was having fraying issue's. :mad: go back to where you got it they should replace it.? i have had the same problem with only one rod so i beleive that i got one bad and one good. but fish-on in spring lake is gooing to replace it for free. Also they set-up my rods Dave and they used just the wire straight to the reel and put 1000 ft on each, which is good because the one rod i have had to cut and redo several times down to about 700ft now on the one rod..

Mike i think someone else posted this also, But there was a bad batch of the 19 strand and it was having fraying issue's. :mad: go back to where you got it they should replace it.? i have had the same problem with only one rod so i beleive that i got one bad and one good. but fish-on in spring lake is gooing to replace it for free. Also they set-up my rods Dave and they used just the wire straight to the reel and put 1000 ft on each, which is good because the one rod i have had to cut and redo several times down to about 700ft now on the one rod..

Mine did not fray out of the blue. It came accross one of my 7 strand wire rods and frayed where the two of them met. The 7 strand wires are bigger than the 19 strand wires, and it will always win if they contact each other.

I dont use any backer either. I just wrap the spool with electical tape so the wire has something to bite into. Then i spool on 1000' of .015 S.S. 7 strand wire. It fills a Daiwa 47 size reel perfectly. I connected mine with an arbor knot. Make sure when you wind the wire on that its on the spool nice and tightly. Otherwise youll have problems when a big fish yanks the line going to the fish down into the loose wraps on the spool. And if that happens...good luck getting it out. I put my wire spool on a bolt with washers and a double nut and put it in my vise, set the tension and then wound it on that way. It was nice and tight from start to finish. If you cant get it on super tight, put a weight or a small dipsey/mini disk on it when you get out in the lake and let it all out and reel it back in to ensure its on there tight to avoid those costly problems.

As far as rods, everyone has their favorites. Some use rods w/twilli tips, others use rollers. Theyll both work. Use what you can afford and prefer. I like my roller rods, so thats what i use.

You can tie your swivel on with this knot:

http://www.lotsa.org/Wire%20Line%20Knot.htm

Dave,

Hold off on using the 19 strand. I have expierenced fraying with the one rod I am trialing it on. If you tangle with something else, it's the weaker of the two.

Just to clarify, these will be my only two wire lines ( i also run two power pro), would you still suggest not running the 19 strand?

I have the same setup. I have two Okuma Catalinas 30LC with 1000 feet of 7 strand. I have two Okuma Convector 30LC with some 20#mono for backing and 40# Power Pro for the main line. I never get into the backing. I don't run any backing on the wire.

Just to clarify, these will be my only two wire lines ( i also run two power pro), would you still suggest not running the 19 strand?

All I am going to say is that I am switching out my 19 strand wire this winter.

I have not had and issues at all with my 19 strand Torpedo Wire. I really like it compared to the 7 strand that I took off. 1000' is the way to go.

Just wondering what kind of rod you use? roller or regular with or with out a twilli?

I read that they don't want you to wind the 19 strand on tight just light pressure then head for deep water and let it all out with a 1 lb ball on it and reel it back in to set the line or you will have problems with it. I am thinking I will just stick with my dependable 7 strand wire zero hassles might not tie as nice but does not lose when it bumps other things in the water.

The fraying occurs when the 19 strand makes contact with any other wire. ie....downrigger cable, or another wire rod set up. The strands are small, and it does not take much friction to start breaking strands.