Starter Removal on a Merc 260?

Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove a starter off of a Mercruiser 260 with out removing the motor? i have removed the exhaust manifold and other items but can only get to one bolt...not even sure if this is the correct bolt! I can't seem to locate yet alone get my hand around the starter. its tight to the oil pan also. Has anyone had any luck? can i undo the 2 main bolts on the front of the engine and jack it up a couple of inches? please help.

thanks everyone.

I am sure you would need to pull your outdrive if you even think of jacking the motor up. Otherwise you could throw your alignment off and blow out your gimble bearing or bend your splined shaft. I have never replaced a starter on a 260 but it seems to me there has to be a way to do it without pulling the motor.

i cannot find a way to het my hand let alone a wrench or socket in the space to get the second bolt. it is to close to the oil pan. I did get my fingers on the bolt and noticed a socket that is stuck on the bolt. i've have thought of every consiveable way, even thought of using my 5 or 7 yr olds!

Is your floorboard getting in your way? My dads boat we had to cut a notch in the floor to get to his. Sounds like once you get the old socket that someone left on there you should be able to get a socket with an extension on it. Good luck I have been there before:(