What has happened to the salmon?

I have been out 5 times in the last month and have yet to catch a salmon. I am starting to wonder if my new graph is throwing out a negative charge in the water and repelling the fish. I am fishing out of Charlevoix and once at Petoskey. I am marking a lot of fish down 100 -140 in 130 - 160 feet of water.

My guess, when people have trouble getting Salmon when others around them are is; Speed. If you go out and see a big porcupine (Boat with lots of poles), mimic his speed and trolling direction. Pay close attention to the lines out the back of your boat. They should be going straight back, not off to one side. Cutting cross current causes the poles to go to one side and reduce the action.

A caption told me once: Salmon, like trout face into the current, so trolling into the current is best.

Is it possibly your a bit to early. They don't start pulling numbers out of the bays til about now. You should start picking them up any day now.

As for you being the one to pull fish usually, it happens. Happened to me every time I fished off the piers last summer. Usually I am the one hooking up like crazy but I struggled big time. That's fishing though, not catching!

I have never had trouble catching them before. I am usually the one that is catching them and other people aren't around me.

Ok then are the others around you catching fish?

It's not likely to be your fish finder.

Turn your graph off and see if it helps.

I know exactly where your coming from though. It's great being the one catching, and really sucks being the other guy.

Last year was the first year that I started fishing beyond the breakwall. I bet I had over 100 hours in before I caught my first fish.

This year things are much better, in part due to the following:

1) lead core and planer boards

2) wire line dipseys

3) probe for depth and temp.

The ability to hit different depths in the water column and finding the right trolling speed really helped alot. The planer boards catch alot of the fish I have gotten this summer.

But one thing I have learned, you still have to be in the right place at the right time.