Hooks

What is the best hooking option for spoons?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best hooking option for spoons?

• Single
    • Treble

I convinced the owner of the boat I drive to change some spoons over to size 1/0 siwash Gamakatsu hooks. We have since added them in tandem to flies & used them as stingers. Believe me, when they go in they don't come out. We have been running these about 3 seasons now & our ratio on fish hooked to fish landed has gone up considerably. They are scary sharp out of the package & seem to stay that way for many uses. Treble hooks have their place but I think they can give the fish some extra leverage over a large, sharp, single. Steelhead, doesn't matter what you use, they just go nuts & find a way to send the lure back at you. But we net a lot more on singles than trebles. Good question & I'm sure others will share their experiences.

I didnt vote because I honestly havent given them a good side by side comparison. But, i will say that i am a big fan of single hooks on my flies. As PBRKTRT stated those singles really burry in a fish and dont come out. So, i would think theyd be fantastic on a spoon as well. Ill have to take some time and do a comparison. I mean, i have the hooks and everything.

I use singles on everything except body baits. I may convert some of these and see how they work. I use singles as well on the meat rigs.

3/0 and 4/0 single siwash on spoons, depends on the size of the spoon.

4/0 owners octopus hooks for flies squids, and meat.

Some may think this is overkill, but I don't think so when I look at the size of fish I am targeting.

I have not swapped out any of the hooks that come with the spoons. I do however sharpen each point so its as sharp as a hypodermic needle.

All of the hooks on any spoon need to be sharpend.

Definitely singles. No net hassle, better hook ups, more wobble at slow speed, less points to sharpen, easier to get out of a fishes mouth, don't have to worry about the other two prongs when you're pulling it out of your finger...

• 5 months later...

I like a 0/4 single on the standard spoons, and an 0/5 on the mags. I think you get better hookups, the spoons store better, less problems with hooks in the net, and less chance of foul hooking yourself.

The one draw back with the big single hooks, is brain hooking shakers.