Boat Question

GLF

My boat is 22' 7" long a (Slickcraft 22 fisherman) I have had as many as seven on my boat fishing at once but the younger ones where in the cabin watching TV. (extra lines ya know) the other four were at helm and in the cockpit watching lines. 12 rods out suits my boat well so I'll say 4 depending on the crew. I have this one buddy that used to fish with me and when he was tippin the suds one was too many...:mad:

Well now, I guess that would depend on two things. your truck and local law enforcement. An 8' beam is legal on any highway and you can haul a 9' beam without too much attention. Depending on the manufacturer these dimensions may vary but a 25' length can have a 8' beam on the average fishing boat, but get up to 27' which is still by weight trailerable and the beam may be too wide to haul without a permit although I've seen some boats at this length that would be slim enough to trailer without a problem.

If I were to purchase a trailerable boat for fishing I would say a 26' with an 8' beam would be the most stable in the water and give you the most comfort for extended trips yet get you in & out of the water at almost any launch without too much trouble and this would be by my preference, being the largest boat I would want to trailer to any port. As far as getting the boat on and off the trailer, practice makes perfect.

I am into my 11th boat. I have owned the big ones, the small ones, center counsel, tiller, inboard, & outboard.

My current boat is a 17 Lund with a 140 4-stroke. This is close to being my last boat. I will be upgrading to a 18 in the near future, same style, same brand, Mr. Pike.

My current Lund is my dream boat. I can fish rivers, small lakes and have no issues running 20' miles out in Lake Michigan or Erie. I can use it year round unlike an inboard. I do not winterize it. It fishes well with 3 people on board, & I have fished with 4 comfortable. I love a 9 rod setup, and have done the 12 & 15 set up on this boat. I will never go back to an inboard. The outboards are just plain low maintance and a 4-stroke is a gas frugal. I can do four 8 hour trips on the big lake on one tank and not have any concern on that last trip.

Mark

I have a 2004 196 Starcraft Fishmaster with a 125 saltwater mercury on it. It has an 8' beam and has a lot of room to do almost anything. I usually fish three, (most comfortable) but have had four fishing. I truely like the ease in which this boat trailers, sets up and most importantly fishes...

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 20' 4Winns with a 185 Merc/Alpha1.

After chatting the other night, starting to think about outboard so's I can fish more.

3 is what I prefer for fishing comfortability, 4 can be done but comfort goes to the pooper.

1 at the wheel, 2 on the rods and rotate pretty much rotate every fish unless the double occurs. (tripple gets ugly, no one drives, boat does circles)

I think its perferct for towing/big laking/little laking etc etc etc.

I have 8 rods but like the 6 rod spread. Occasionally maybe run 7 but I like the comfort of 6.

I have an 1850 Crestliner Sportfish with 135 O/B and a 15 hp kicker. I'm towing under 3000lbs. Its an eight foot beam with plenty of side height and hard windshield protection. The boats is designed with the ability to convert seating from bench style to posted seating. When trolling on the big lake, its the bench layout and I can fish four comfortably. When we perch fish or were inland bluegill fishing, we flip it into the posted arrangement like a Skeeter.