j-plug harness

i was doing a little reading around and seen that people are take the front hook off of plugs. so the fishing got a little slow one day a few weeks ago and i started taking them off and the next morning i put some of thme out on a 6 core and they hook the fish better than having both hooks and they LOT easier getting them out of the net i thought that i share my finding,

Thanks for the info Matt. I moved the thread to the Salmon Pros section.

While we are on Js, I just got back from Northwoods in Pinconning and purchase 3 Rattle Js for $3 each. Sign said they bought a semi load. I got 2 green pink and white #4s Army Truck and one Blue Back and silver # 5 called Silver Blue top. Those arm trucks look like watermelon colors. It's been awhile since Js were $3 each. They don't have a full selection of colors. They had a lot of green with black ladder backs.

I'm curious, is this the hook that is attached to the chain part of the harness? If this is the case, doesn't the plug slide back onto the rear hook? Do you have a picture, I guess I can't visualize it. Thanks.

The last few years for j-plugs I have tied on short length of 50# mono directly to the bead chain with a loop on the other end for attaching my snap swivel. This hopefully prevents the fish from chewing through the 20 or 30 # mono I have spooled on my reels.

I read an article in GLA and the guys on Best Chance Too only run a treble on the split ring. Just reread a section in an old issue for fishing deep and on their coppers they ran plugs. Sure enough, both plugs shown in the pics only had a treble on the split ring and no rear hook. Plugs were both Silver Horde, the standard and Ace High Plugs...Interesting. How about bead chains. Anyone replace thier dacron or power pro for a bead chain? I did this and ended up going back to Power Pro. I couldnt get a fish on the bead chains....Crazy.

I swapped out my stock J-Plug harnesses 2 seasons ago & now use 2 sections of bead chain with a pair of Gamakatsu siwash hooks.

I don't think I've had a single fish become unbuttoned since I went to this hook arrangement.

gla_j-plug_harnesses.jpg