convector cv45d

i dont know if anyone heard me on the radio sat during the dreamweaver...i broke a convector reel and lost the fish when tghe levelwind quit working...ive taken it apart and it turns out to be a transmission gear...it tranfers the reel motion to the levelwind..basically an intermediate gear...what ticks me off is its a plastic gear....the drive gear and the levelwind gear are steel and the transfer gear is friggin plastic...it makes no sense:angry2:

I had this happen on two of my Okuma Classic Pro that I use for lead core. Once I replaced that plastic gear I found the reel would still jam. I called Okuma and talked to a tech there. He told me this. In the bottom of the line leveler there is a pal that rides in the grove. That gets worn. When the line leveler gets to one side or the other making its transition from one direction to the other it gets jammed. I replaced that pal and they work great again. He told me it was caused by letting your line out and flipping the lever to stop the line. I did that! He said it is better to stop the spool with your thumb then flip the lever and that will help to prevent ware. I also greased everything up good. Hope this helps.

TT

Thats why i dont use Okumas anymore. They just dont hold up. I toasted several on walleye, and a few on salmon. So now when i need another reel i get a tried and true Daiwa like i always used instead of trying something new. Lesson learned. Good luck with your repair and hopefully it doesnt happen again.

OKUMA is hard to beat for the money sure you can buy more expensive reels but they break too so it is hard to beat a solid budget reel. I paid around 26 bucks each for 6 Magda 45 reels 5 years ago with the idea I would throw them away when they failed at least they gave me something to get going again with. They all still work and catch fish every trip out. If it were not for the ability to buy cheap gear I doubt I would have 1/3 of the stuff I have sure I would love Shimano gear but I can outfit most of my boat for what a couple of diver setups cost. I don't have any fancy high priced gear in my boat but I can put fish in the box every trip out and can hold my own in most tournaments. It has been a long time since I got skunked.

Valid points Jim, but the reels you have have nothing to do with how many fish you put in the boat. Its knowing how, where, when and what that makes the difference when your on the water, and a little luck never hurts.

My point was simply that i have used Okuma, had bad luck with them also and would rather spend my money elsewhere once on something that will last. Our Daiwas have been used hard for over 10 years and to date i have had one click spring fail vs several Okumas whos guts were shredded. Handlining in big salmon isnt my idea of fun.

And with the internet now days you can build a great rod and reel spread for the fraction of the cost. Ebay is a wonderful place to buy reels. We've bought several Daiwa SG27LCA and SG47LCA that are either new/like new conditoin for anywhere from $40-$60. Solid reels with a great track record amoungst Great Lakes anglers.

Valid points Jim, but the reels you have have nothing to do with how many fish you put in the boat. Its knowing how, where, when and what that makes the difference when your on the water, and a little luck never hurts.

My point was simply that i have used Okuma, had bad luck with them also and would rather spend my money elsewhere once on something that will last. Our Daiwas have been used hard for over 10 years and to date i have had one click spring fail vs several Okumas whos guts were shredded. Handlining in big salmon isnt my idea of fun.

And with the internet now days you can build a great rod and reel spread for the fraction of the cost. Ebay is a wonderful place to buy reels. We've bought several Daiwa SG27LCA and SG47LCA that are either new/like new conditoin for anywhere from $40-$60. Solid reels with a great track record amoungst Great Lakes anglers.

exactly right....you can get salmon on all day long and if youre using crap(20 something dollar reels)you will end up with failures and watch a fish swim away with youre lure in his mouth

OKUMA is hard to beat for the money sure you can buy more expensive reels but they break too so it is hard to beat a solid budget reel. I paid around 26 bucks each for 6 Magda 45 reels 5 years ago with the idea I would throw them away when they failed at least they gave me something to get going again with. They all still work and catch fish every trip out. If it were not for the ability to buy cheap gear I doubt I would have 1/3 of the stuff I have sure I would love Shimano gear but I can outfit most of my boat for what a couple of diver setups cost. I don't have any fancy high priced gear in my boat but I can put fish in the box every trip out and can hold my own in most tournaments. It has been a long time since I got skunked.

i guess i would rather buy 1 good reel than 3 turds....even when muskegon was at its worst i still managed some fish each time...im not the greatest fisherman and i still get skunked from time to time but there are also days i go out and everything we put out catches a fish and im not gonna handicap myself even farther by shopping at goodwill and valu land for equipment....my whole rant was the fact that i paid 2x as much for the convector as the magda and they put in the same part number of a plastic gear as the magda....i guess i dont know where any of youre post has to do with the problem i had...it has to do more with telling everyone how good you think you are...imo

i have bought shamino tekota at 199 and end up have tunasreeltroubles in lundington a month later put new drags in them because the drag were so sticky that you would set the drag to hold the board and when you would get a fish it would be like it had sieze up so the top of the line stuff has problems to

i have bought shamino tekota at 199 and end up have tunasreeltroubles in lundington a month later put new drags in them because the drag were so sticky that you would set the drag to hold the board and when you would get a fish it would be like it had sieze up so the top of the line stuff has problems to

I wont dispute that fact either, but the overall functionality and durability is much better.

In the end, use what you believe in, can afford etc.

Good luck on the big pond.:)

Well Shimano Okuma Diawa are all made in China by the lowest bidder. In the long run we all want quality equipment but are to cheap to buy the stuff we used to buiild here so now it is all imported. For me I have given up on a lot of hopes of buying quality american made gear and just do my best to at least buy from local shops. As such I stopped shopping the internet for deals. I purchase nearly everything I need from a few local shops. My post had nothing to do with me being better than anyone else just that I have put tons of Salmon in the box over the years with equipment many consider cheap junk. I have listened to differant people rag on rods and reels for years and I know several charter guys who have way more trouble with their high end gear than I ever have had but then they fish more than me so that has a bit to do with it and they hand the rod to anyone with the price of admission. I can understand you being bummed to find a cheap plastic gear failed and cost you a fish I would be mad as well. But the level wind is not a high torque area and many high end reels use plastic gears because the are quieter and self lubercating. Would have been any less bummed to find the same cheap gear in a Shimano?

The local west michigan Okuma rep is top notch. I have had great luck with any issues that have occured. Check your local baitshop that is a Okuma dealer and you will be fixed up in a jiffy. Even the best of the best breaks once in a while. I am sure if I hauled as many monster kings in as alot of the great fisherman here I might have some reel failure as well. I have all convectors except I gave up my trusty penn dr reels for some magda's this spring and besides the gear ratio and fresh drags I am not too impressed with the magda's. When I get a chance I will be outfitting my riggers with some more convectors and tossing the magda's aside. MY2CENTS

I will second that the WM Okuma rep. is great! He has done me right. That is why most of what I've bought, over the last four years, is Okuma.

Can I buy new drag washers for a Convector cv30d here in town?

I think The Outdoorsmen in Jenisen has some parts in stock.

2UNREEL I have never been impressed with my Magda reels for the last couple of years I have expected them to blow up but they just keep reeling in fish. One thing I do know and that is my job won't pay my bills and unless I find a better job soon all of this crap will be in a moving sale as I leave MI for the final time. Cause one thing I know for sure there are very few careers that don't pay better in other states that cost less to live in. So untill I pack it up and sell the rest if I want to fish this is the gear I got to work with.

These reels are so nice all of the guys are fight over who gets to reel in the lead core??

I would have to see this to believe it. Most of the people who fish with me fight over who HAS to reel in leadcore, not who GETS too. That's why I end up doing it most of the time. That's about the only time I reel in fish anymore.:D

My favorite reel is the one that has a fish on the other end... after that I would say that I do prefer my Takota's over my Okumas. For some reason my Okumas don't keep the line even on the spool. It could be operator error but I don't get the same result w/ my Takota's. Other than that, the Okuma's work just fine at a fraction of the cost. What I was told when I was buying my reels is that spend the big coin for the outside reels, (lead, copper, and dipseys) and you can get away w/ going cheap on the riggers. So far this theory has worked out for me.