Cannon Hi-speed ????

I just installed 1 cannon hi-speed on my boat last week and line counter seems to be about 20 feet off every time I put it down and bring it back up. I didn't have much time to look into this since we were very busy all last week. I just wondered if anyone has run across this problem and has a cure. If needed I'll send it back over the winter.

This rigger is amazing compared to the old Mag-10's and I will upgrade the other 2 in the off season as well. One note if anyone is considering these riggers is that they really love lots of power. I first installed this rigger to a fuse panel that I used for riggers before and it quickley started blowing fuses. I then re-wired it straight to the battery with 8 gauge wire and a hi-capacity in line fuse. The shorter wire and bigger wire made all the differance in the the world and it sizzles.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I have the same problem with Cannon Mag 10's. My gear wheel that drives the counter moves off center and dosen't engage right. I haven't figured the long term cure but I re zero it and center it about once an hour.

Good Luck, Mike

All of the counters work about the same the they count rotations of the wheel and are geared based on size of the wheel as to how much line pays out per rotation. Unless you have the line wound perfect on the spool it will never be the same twice. There are several options if you want to be more accurate that I have played with over the years but now I just have gotten used to it and know about how far down they are based on where they hit bottom and boat speed. I am running 400 ft of Cannon camo cable on my Big Jon riggers at 2.5 mph they hit bottom in 65 ft reading close to 65ft out with 15 lb balls. With a 12lb pancake on my probe rigger which has 300ft of coated cable it takes 78ft out to hit bottom under the same conditions. My other out and down has 250ft of standard cable and takes about 72 ft of cable with a 12lb finned ball. If you want to know exactly how much cable you have out you have to measure the cable not how many times the wheel turns. To do this you have a couple of choices on is to get a line counter mounted on the boom that the cable passes thru and use that or another option is to mark the cable like lead core. But because the cable can bunch up on the spool and as you let it out just like on your line counter reel as you get closer to a empty spool you are letting less line out with every turn counting wheel rotation is not ever going to be accurate.

I again didn't get much of a chance to mess with this last weekend, but to explain my issue a little clearer. I can reset mine each time I drop it and bring it back up and something is causing the smaller wheel connected to the counter to move off center each time I send it down and bring it back up. Actually I think it is moving while it is coming up. I had it set right over the other wheel and it worked several times in a row and then it pushed the smaller off center after again. I can easily pin the counter in place and try that as well.