In close trolling

So some of you might know me from the pier forums, but I have upgraded.....

to a kayak;)

How does everyone do on tots on the skinny water .. IE 40 FOW or closer, Not sure if i want to go out much past that.

I know they work around the pier heads but should I stick with that a bit farther out or use spoons/j plugs?

Never know, depends on the day. Jplugs are hot in the fall usually. Some snap weights or dive bombs might work good on just your pier mono rods. Could cast a spoon at same time too, between strokes. Short core rods too but then buying more tackle. Can u fit 5 fall kings in your kayak???;) GL

I am all about trying it in GH this year boats or no... I am going to try a bit of everything and going to land a big king. If you see me out there feel free to wave and say hi...

BTW I can fit the kings on the boat a 14 foot kayak has alot of room;)

I think the idea is cool however having been in the fall madness for several decades I am not sure how safe it will be. Those guys jigging in the channel ends every year scare me cause sooner or later someone is going to die there. Either their small boat is going to get run over or swamped by the wake and waves from boats coming and going. Over the years I have heard too many people in big boats joking about how much their wake beats the little boats up when 30 ft boats comes in on plane and pulls the throttle back they plow a huge wave. Personally I think they should all get tickets for blocking the waterway. Even my 26ft puts up a big wave when I shut down to go to no wake speed and the only way to avoid it is to drop to no wake long before you enter the channel. Sorry guys but I really don't want to see anyone get hurt and this is a bigger boat wins area some of these boats are like sending a Pee Wee football team to the Super Bowl.

So here is the deal...

I am not going to lie that half the fun is fishing the big lake in the kayak.

other boats or not, I have all the saftey gear as well as am visible 360 degrees.

If one of the big boats runs me down then it was my time to go but karma is a bad bad thing.

Now saying that.. I am not stupid enough to be in front of the heads during the weeknds, as well as to be trolling the channel on the weeknds.

I plan on staying to the N or S of the pier heads other then to get out.

It comes down to the law really... Kayaks have the right of way. If someone runs me down they coastguard/sheriff will know the boat name and description. Welcome to felonious assault charges.

So here is the deal...

I am not going to lie that half the fun is fishing the big lake in the kayak.

other boats or not, I have all the saftey gear as well as am visible 360 degrees.

If one of the big boats runs me down then it was my time to go but karma is a bad bad thing.

Now saying that.. I am not stupid enough to be in front of the heads during the weeknds, as well as to be trolling the channel on the weeknds.

I plan on staying to the N or S of the pier heads other then to get out.

It comes down to the law really... Kayaks have the right of way. If someone runs me down they coastguard/sheriff will know the boat name and description. Welcome to felonious assault charges.

i think it comes down to this....everyone has the right to be on the lake...regardless of boat size....people need to take theyre head out of theyre butts and quit thinking big boat means im right...we need more respect for each other....maybe learn the boating laws a little better so we all are smarter boaters...it doesnt matter if youre in a 30 ft tiara or a kayak....everyone deserves to enjoy this sport...there is too much yelling and screamin at each other out theyre(muskegon anyway)

I guess my point is you are very low in the water making it much harder to see esp since you will completely dissappear in 1 to 3 ft waves. I am a very safe operator I was a Coast Guard boarding Officer long ago so I know and abide by the rules. I also know how hard it is to see little boats esp when they seldom follow the rules like the guys anchoring in the channel ends. In the coming weeks the harbors will fill up with boats full of guys who only fish the fall run and have no cares whatsoever of the rules or polite fishing. Here we are a group of guys who even when we don't agree would still drop everything and help each other out, Of the guys I have met from this site there are none I would not pull lines to go help if needed nor would I be afraid to fish in tight with them. The issue is soon we will be amongst all the weekend warriers and just like the rivers and piers during the big runs I will be far away. I have a few more days of fishing in the morn to finish out the WMFL and Great Lakes fisherman events then I will not be fishing in the morn again till next year on the big lake.

your right most guys do not follow the rules... I have a big flag.. extra lights.... and if it gets to bad a goby slingshot!:)

So I finally got some time to work on the boat today free of distractions.

I was not sure if i wanted to mount the rod holders on the boat by myself so I mounted them to the crate (now just to secure the crate).

kayakfront.jpg

kayakfront1.jpg

back.jpg

back2.jpg

Still need to make some leashes for the rods and such, and give it a test run...

Just a curiosty are you actually going to try and troll or just jig? I guess I ask because I wonder how it will work with 2 lines if you get a fish on and have to turn the boat around to fight the fish? On the other hand I could probably tow you off a planer board reel maybe use you and Jay as big Otter boats LOL.

I may have to get Jay to bring his along some time and drop him in behind me could use it as a stealth presentation.