The Bay 7-21

Yesterday my two boys and I hit Saginaw Bay for the first time ever! We chartered with Duncan Wooster who taught us a lot about Walleye. This was a special request of him as we were more interested in coving a number of different presentations rather than just catching fish. It was great fun, we learned a ton and we even caught fish!

We left out of the Saginaw River DNR launch site and the day started out with only a mere breeze and the water calm. It was the same for the Walleyes as they also started out a bit slow but the sheephead were active and we even caught a 5+ cat. Finally we started picking up a few small keeper walleye (in addition to a number of undersize) on crawler harness’ and managed to get one 23 incher. Although we tried trolling various crank baits and even spoons, crawlers were the ones taking fish. Later in the afternoon we went over to the north end of the bay and stayed exclusively with cranks in about 20-22 FOW. Hot ‘N Tots of various colors were the only thing working so we switch over to them exclusively and started picking up a few more walleyes between the 2 and 3 lb range. We even picked up a few big perch! There were a number of other boats out there but I think we were the only ones using crank baits as all the other boats were trolling sloowww. We tried to kept it at around 2.1 - 2.3 where we did the best and caught the biggest ones.

By the time we headed back, the waves were getting big and we had a bit of a wet ride back to the river. Duncan also showed us a bit of river fishing and we managed to get a couple more. At the end of the day we had our heads full of new information, a limit of nice Walleye with a few bonus perch.

Anyway, the boys loved it and are ready to go out again!

Ya, how else do you get started with no history? It's just not the same when you read it out of a book. In fact, some of the things I've read about now make sense.

Here's a couple of happy lads.

levi_with_walleye2optimized.jpg

gabe_with_walleye1optimized.jpg

Thanks Frank. Now I understand a little bit better why you guys on the flat side of the mitt get all excited when you talk about walleye fishing. Fun stuff! We're still working on the boat, but we'll definately be pulling the boat over to try to put to use some of what we learned when we get her set up.