How to keep offshore planers from coming loose?

How do you guys rig your offshore planer boards to assure they do not come off when a big fish takes it under water or when it gets hung up in the prop wash? i have the red snaps with the pin on the back. I like the walleye board design with the pin, but have 6 of these boards. Let me know what you guys do. thanks

well when you say come loose do you mean both releases come off the line and your board is floating behind the boat. we put a speed clip right on the split ring that holds the back release on snap that baby on the line but you need to use speed beads when doing this so the board dont beat the fish off. If you are talking the front realease is breaking loose you need the oranage releases off shore sells or the blak lock on ones they make for super lines http://www.offshoretackle.com/

I use the red clips with the pin at the back of the board and have changed all of my front releases to the new orange ones. As long as you insert the line past the pin on the back release it will not come off and it won't slide down. You can clip them on braid and they will stay put.

A sure fire inexpensive way to keep the board on the line, is to replace the back release with a line snap. If you use a orange release on the front a large fish will release it and the board will quit planing, and you will not have to fight the board. You will also need a speed bead or some other means of keeping the board from sliding all the way down to the fish, Locking up the front release so it can't release can cause lost fish. While you are fighting the board the fish can swim against it, and get slack. I run up to 10 Offshore boards for walleye, and for them I don't want the boards to release and slide. For Salmon I just don't like fighting a board. To me locking the front release on a salmon board is worse than fighting a Dipsy that is not released due to over tightening.:) JMHO

I lost three boards due to the board releasing, sliding down the line and hitting the speed bead, and then spinning around the line and the clip that came with the board would spin itself off the line. Then I tried using red pads so the board would not release and lost 4 fish in one day due to having to fight the board and the fish would have slack on the back side.

I went back to the release and speed bead method only I put a heavy snap swivel on the back of the board that cannot come off the line, that seems to have done the trick so far.

Get that Cam Lock release, at least thats what i call it, for the front. Its a large black clip and when you clamp it down it actually has a pin that goes down into a hold in the lower jaw of the release. Then hook it in the rear red offshroe release and be sure to get it behind the pin. In all honesty, if you have it behind the pin in the red release your not gonna lose the board or have it slide down. If you do, the release needs to be replaced.

rubber bands. you'll have to reel in the board with the fish, keep your rod low until the board is about a rods length away from the boat. half hitch the rubber band around your line then around the planer board release. when you get the board in, pull on the line and the rubber band will snap. used this method for two years before we got church walleye boards and flipped the releases around. never lost a board, and at over $20 apiece it is worth the extra time putting a rubber band on it.