Webcam Project Part 1 - GLF Cam

GLF

This is part one of a two part project. Part one was figuring out how to set up a webcam web page. After lots of searching on the net, and lots of trial and error......I now have a webcam web page. :thumb:

You can check out my webcam web page here, GLF Cam.

I have the camera mounted where it is at for testing purposes only. Yep....you guessed it.......its sitting on top of one of my computer displays, and is pointed at ME! :D My webcam only updates when the computer is turned on. I have 2 displays set up with my computer. If my eyes are looking off to the side, that is because I am looking at the other display.

Anyways.....I have the webcam set up to take a picture once a minute. The image on the webpage also updates automatically once a minute.

One thing I have noticed, is how lighting affects the quality of the images. :(

Now that part one is complete, I am moving on to part two. I have a USB extension booster cable and another webcam on order. With the help of someone else, I "hope" to able test part two of my project some time in August.

I am also trying to figure out how much bandwidth I will need.

On to more testing. :P

I have been playing with my iphone all morning trying to figure out how to use it as a tethering device so I can get a computer to connect to the internet while away from a land connection. This gives me the ability to be mobile with my webcam. I FINALLY GOT IT WORKING! :D

Getting a webcam mobile was a KEY part of my project, and gives me the ability to do part two of my project! :cool:

Whats part two?

Part two of my project is adding the webcam to my boat. This will be a live feed(updates once a minute) of the back of my boat, viewable on any pc in the world that views my webcam page.

If I can get everything rigged and working on my boat today, you "may" be able to watch my fishing trip tonight, and the GLFTT event on Sunday morning from your home pc. :thumb:

Here is the last image of the night as we were pulling lines.

glf_cam.jpg

There was a couple of instances when the phone locked up and I had to reboot it. If you see a red "x" while viewing, hit the refresh button and it will reload the page. When the image is overwriting the previous image, it causes this red "x". :( My connection is not the greatest, but its better than no connection at all!

Who checked out the webcam today while we were fishing? What do you think of it?

It was pretty cool watching Mark fight the fish up to the minute, the only thing i missed was i did not get to see any of the fish. The only thing i could see was Mark putting the fish in the cooler..........I guess if we want to know your secrets or how you are doing we will just watch it:lol:

He should be able to do a live feed but it will be bandwidth dependant since he is doing this out on the lake. There is little chance he is going to be able to maintain bandwidth all the time. So it is safer to just put it in photo mode as a photo can be resent repeatedaly untill it goes thru and is a single file transfer.

This took a lot of work to get this set up and running.

There are a few issues with the set up I have. I have to reboot my phone about every 30 minutes. :( My webcam does not have as wide of picture as I would like. So.....I have the camera mounted about 4' under the top.

The technology is not in place to do a live feed.

What you have going is very cool Mike I have a computer system for my boat just never made up my mind where to mount it since it is not water proof. Would be interesting to see what one of those wireless network setups would do out on the lake.

I do have another webcam on order that I will be trying out the next time out....hopefully. Anyways......I will be able to record the fishing trip as a video on my computer. From there, I am sure it could be made into a dvd or something.

Who knows.....Maybe I will start my own TV show with it. :D :D

What you have going is very cool Mike I have a computer system for my boat just never made up my mind where to mount it since it is not water proof. Would be interesting to see what one of those wireless network setups would do out on the lake.

With my phone, I can upload on ATT and 55kbps. If ATT would turn on the 3G in Muskegon, then we would be talking.

I am trying to make this even better. I am playing with some new software. The new software may allow me to keep the 10 most recent photos on my webcam page. :thumb:

Can you do the same thing with a live feed, or constant transmission, or can you only take a picture every moment or so?
With my phone, I can upload on ATT and 55kbps. If ATT would turn on the 3G in Muskegon, then we would be talking.

I got a buddy that live streams driving a semi across the nation... Verizon wireless air card..... The bill has to be HUGE!!!

I have an air card and your allowed 5 gigs a month. We use about 3 gigs just normal surfing/dl's---They limit you just so you don't stream videos and stuff, obvoiusly he makes a hell of a lot more then I do!!!!