Do you think salmon move north?

I just read the DNR fishing report and it said that there was a coho caught at Glen Arbor so they say it means the salmon are moving north. But I think the salmon don't move as far as some think and that some don't move north at all They are already there just us fishermen can't find them. My reasoning is that I can sometimes catch chinooks at Detour and St.Ignce at the end of May when suface waters are only in the low 50's. Also when the salmon fishing was in its prime on Lake Huron we would start fishing Presque Isle and Rogers City in the middle of June. But there is another thing that happens. The salmon don't usually get to Charlevoix until the middle of July but we don't get great fishing until Aug.

Why do you think this is?

What is your opinion?

The vast majority of salmon in lakes Michigan and Huron move to the southern portion for the winter. Thats why the bite starts in the far southern areas first(shortly after ice out), and goes progressively north as the summer wanes on into fall. The salmon follow the bait, which spreads out after the temps set up. They just eat all summer and gradually, as they feel the urge, move towards the rivers they're planted or hatched in.

The vast majority of salmon in lakes Michigan and Huron move to the southern portion for the winter. Thats why the bite starts in the far southern areas first(shortly after ice out), and goes progressively north as the summer wanes on into fall. The salmon follow the bait, which spreads out after the temps set up. They just eat all summer and gradually, as they feel the urge, move towards the rivers they're planted or hatched in.

Thats about my thought too. Some fish do hang south also just spread out alot more. Summer time they spread out into the lake more rather than just following the shoreline I believe too.

I've been thinking about this for awhile. I was thinking that Salmon kind of hang out in Northern Huron and go either up the St. Marys or find their way over to Lk. Michigan side. In fact part of my experimental program is to look at the area inbetween Mack. City and St.Ignace for Salmon on their way over to Michigan. I would think it would be a natural choke point. We'll see.

Rick I think yo may be right...I'm fishing out of grand Traverse Bay and have found nothing but Lakers, they are telling me that it will be better in August and september, but the waiting is tough.... and we'll keep on searching....and we'll keep fishing.The Weather has been horrible up there, every weekend we've been there has been 4-5 footers and wind like you wouldn't believe. It is my first season of Salmon Fishing and it's been a little frustrating to say the least. We will be moving the boat to Ludington next week, I'm going to give it my best in Ludington.... but U have t friend that was in a tournament in Ludinton on thursday, and he's giving me all the salmon they caught, isn't he great....

In the northern ports the salmon are few and far between in the spring. Scientists think that some salmon and baifish go to the deeper parts of the lake in the winter. Then when the baitfish move in shallow in the spring, the salmon follow. Same thing with the baitfish moving north. The salmon follow the bait. In most northern ports the spring fishery is mostly browns and steelies. I don't know of any northern port that has a consistent salmon fishery in the spring.

I often wonder... Why don't they stock Salmon in the Northern areas.... seems like a good idea right? Maybe we should talk them into raising Bate Fish up there. It seems like a great place to raise a nice family of Salmon... Aye?

They do stock salmon up north. That is why so many of them return in the fall to spawn. You can find the stocking data on the DNR website. One of the main hatchery's is up on the Platte River. Sounds like you are heading to Ludington at a good time. Check out Glen's reports on www.fish-ludington.com. It should give you a good idea on where to start. The fishing has been a couple of weeks behind this year so hopefully it goes longer in the fall. Good luck.

i think this time of there year you have 2 things you can do thats fish on the shelf pulling flasher/fly/squids j-plugs and mag spoons you get better bigger fish and fight all the boats up there or go deep fish high for steelhead with small spoons and fast troll out here theres alot of 1,2,3 year old fish my case good eaters and theres usually alot of numbers of fish out thers. then theres the other program where you go south and its usually hit of miss down there

In the northern ports the salmon are few and far between in the spring. Scientists think that some salmon and baifish go to the deeper parts of the lake in the winter. Then when the baitfish move in shallow in the spring, the salmon follow. Same thing with the baitfish moving north. The salmon follow the bait. In most northern ports the spring fishery is mostly browns and steelies. I don't know of any northern port that has a consistent salmon fishery in the spring.

Well I have been up to Detour on a memorial day weekend and all we caught was kings. I have started fishing Presque Ise and Rogers City in the middle of June before but that was back a few years when the salmon were more plentiful.

Boltman, there is salmon starting to show up at Charlevoix. I was there on Sun. and I saw one boat get 4 kings but all we managed was 4 greasers. We just couldn't find the salmon.

There are a lot more variables in the Detour area than in a normal northern port. I was thinking Lake Michigan ports such as Ludington or Manistee. In Detour you have shallow water close by for bait. You also have the effect of the St. Mary's River. I'm not saying that you can't catch kings in northern ports in the spring. I'm just saying the fishery isn't consistent. The numbers just aren't there.

• 6 months later...

I have been told that there are two groups of Salmon. One group winters in the Southern half of Lake Michigan, and moves North as the water warms. The other group resides in the deep water and moves shallow as spawning season nears. Whether this is true or not I don't know?