copper set-up

Well you guys did it to me again after reading alot of past posts on copper and that it has it's place in the set-up, I went and bought 300 ft roll of the coated copper to set-up 2 poles with 150 ft each. I only did this because i dont have the funds to buy new okuma 55 series reels, so i used the 45's that i had. So as i set this up i used 50# braid as a backer and the attached a mono leader 45# to this to use to hook to the board instead of braid (hearing braid will cut into the clips) tied together with a double uni, and than attached the copper with a howie knot added the copper and then attached a 20# leader 30ft long, Did I do everything right??? i dont want to lose anything the first time i try it. Thanks Doug

45# copper would get you the best depth. Leader length is always debateable but 30' sounds good.I use braid as backer and double wrap the clips. I think next year they will get a mono section between as it takes longer to unwrap boards with a fish on them and I think it may be weakening the line as i have had some backer break.(only my power pro and no ripcord even though both 30#):confused: Just my .02:grin:

I have coated and uncoated, coated is much friendlier. Good choices. I love my 150, 200 and 300' that are all new this year. 150' has yet to catch a fish for me yet thoug. 200 and 300 prob 20-30 fish.?.?...

OH man now your gonna get me in trouble with the mrs.s if go out and end up getting a 200 and 300 set-up.... ha guess it goes back to better to ask for forgiveness than asking to do it right!!!:eek:

Learn it , love it, live it:grin:

I got 1 CV 55 for the 300' shes a nice solid reel;)

when i setup a copper to a braid i put about 50-75 foot of mono between the braid and the copper to give it a little stretch....copper and braid have virtually no stretch so it helps with a bigger fish....not saying you have to...its just what i do...i also use albright on the copper and a uni to uni knot with the braid to mono

the mono between the braid and the copper will also show you when it is getting worn. braid doesn't show wear and just breaks out of the blue.

I am going to try something that the tackle shop in saguatuck talked my into trying. It is the torpedo diver to get you deeper. He said it works great and you dont have to have all the different lengths of copper. All you do is let all your copper out then attach this to the backer. check the chart for speed and depth you want to fish and let out the amount of line the chart shows. He said they don't add any more noticanble pull on your planer boards. I will see on sunday as i am going to try them out. for example a 150 copper fishes about 40 ft. let out all the copper attach the musky size torpedo diver and let out 78 ft more line attach your board, to fish at the depth of a 300' copper. there 18 bucks each instead of a new reel and spool of copper. you can also fish a 300 ft copper at the depth of a 450 copper for about the same extra line out. they make different sizes to achieve different depths.

Alright, as long as we are on the subject, I have 4 leadcore that I run off planer boards, 2 off each side. A 10,6,5,3. If I wanted to set up a couple of copper lines, could I use them along with the lead core to run 3 off a side?

What would be the best lengths of copper to use in conjunction with the lead core.

Alot of times I will also run a 10 color down the chute, it usually gets a little action.

You can run copper inside of your core, but it has to be deeper. If it were me I would setup 300' of 45# copper as a deep rod. And if I was going to add another rod it would probably be 300' of 30#. You seem to have the upper depths covered pretty well with your core.

Well you guys did it to me again after reading alot of past posts on copper and that it has it's place in the set-up, I went and bought 300 ft roll of the coated copper to set-up 2 poles with 150 ft each. I only did this because i dont have the funds to buy new okuma 55 series reels, so i used the 45's that i had. So as i set this up i used 50# braid as a backer and the attached a mono leader 45# to this to use to hook to the board instead of braid (hearing braid will cut into the clips) tied together with a double uni, and than attached the copper with a howie knot added the copper and then attached a 20# leader 30ft long, Did I do everything right??? i dont want to lose anything the first time i try it. Thanks Doug

Doug, You did your home work well, sounds like a good setup. You should have good luck with the 150" rigs this year. It doesn't look like where going to get real warm temps with all this global warming.

Alot of times I will also run a 10 color down the chute, it usually gets a little action.

Tony, running one down the shoot is good when the fish aren't hot and heavy, but when the fish are going gang busters, they tend to tangle with the shoot core.

Good luck to the two of you.

tie in a short snubber between your copper and your leader. It helps with stretch alot, and will improve hookup rates. Good luck, copper works!

Does adding the snubber mean that you have a swivel attached to the copper then attach the snubber with a leader?? or is the snubber at the end of the leader? i would think that would make the lure run funny. :confused:

the mono between the braid and the copper will also show you when it is getting worn. braid doesn't show wear and just breaks out of the blue.

I am going to try something that the tackle shop in saguatuck talked my into trying. It is the torpedo diver to get you deeper. He said it works great and you dont have to have all the different lengths of copper. All you do is let all your copper out then attach this to the backer. check the chart for speed and depth you want to fish and let out the amount of line the chart shows. He said they don't add any more noticanble pull on your planer boards. I will see on sunday as i am going to try them out. for example a 150 copper fishes about 40 ft. let out all the copper attach the musky size torpedo diver and let out 78 ft more line attach your board, to fish at the depth of a 300' copper. there 18 bucks each instead of a new reel and spool of copper. you can also fish a 300 ft copper at the depth of a 450 copper for about the same extra line out. they make different sizes to achieve different depths.

I have the stinger dive bombs thought that if i really wanted to get deeper could run those?? Correct.

Does adding the snubber mean that you have a swivel attached to the copper then attach the snubber with a leader?? or is the snubber at the end of the leader? i would think that would make the lure run funny. :confused:

he is talking about between youre braid and youre copper not the lure side...i think...otherwise im not sure what he means either

I run my stinger dive bombs on my 300 45# copper at times when the fish seem to be deeper. Mike (GLF) has done some testing on these with lead core and i just followed his findings to guess where i am at with the copper, but would like to find the time later this summer to do a little testing with the copper to be sure. Some of the Lake Ontario stinger guys were supposed to be doing some more comprehensive testing on these dive bombs but i am not sure this has happened yet...GLF any ideas??

Some of the Lake Ontario stinger guys were supposed to be doing some more comprehensive testing on these dive bombs but i am not sure this has happened yet...GLF any ideas??

All of the testing I did was with 20lb mono. I have not heard about any other testing going on.