A perfect July 4th

This past wkd I went up to Clear Lake State Park. We had a blast the whole wkd. On July 4th we went and fished a small lake. Each person put in 5 bucks for the biggest crappie. I think in the back of our heads we all were thinking who would get the most fish, the sons or the dads. The sons were in one boat while the dads were in the other.

Fishing started off real slow. The sons hit a fish here and there, but nothing spectacular. It was also real windy. I then hooked a a nice smallie on my deer hair jig with a minnow. However, I lost it in the weeds. We were all using ultra light rods and an assortment of jigs with minnows.

The dads were getting pissed that we kept catching fish so they shot to the other side of the lake in their boat. Right when they went around the corner I hooked into a pig on my 4 1/2 ft ugly stix. We pulled the fish out of the weeds and took my time landing him. Finally we had him in the net. He was a little under 3 lbs and 18.5 inches. What a blast he was on a ultra light. We got a pic and let him go. Unfor. it was on my buddies cam. I'll post it if I ever get a hold of it.

Up until dark I was catching bass after bass. It was ridiculous.

An hour before sunset the wind finally let up and we started to pound the crappie. The dads then came back and started to catch crappie too. It was basically none stop action. We were yelling back and fourth small little jabs.

The sun went down and I didn't want to quit. Heck, my dad was having so much fun he wanted to keep on fishing.

Finally it was to dark to fish. The crappie turned off and it was time to head in. We needed to beat the fireworks so we wouldn't get stuck in the traffic. It was a cool site to be driving down the road while watching the fire works go off just about everywhere.

We ended up stopping at a bar around 11:30. Surprizenly they still were cooking. We had an awesome dinner with more smack talk back and fourth.

Back at camp we were all wanting to know who won, the sons, or the dads. We counted them up and the final score was:

Sons: 18

Dads: 14

However...my buddies dad got the biggest that went about 12 inches. So we all forked over the money.

I couldn't have asked for a better 4th. I hope everyone else had a great 4th as well.