In-Board Oil Change Units

Guys, what is the best unit to buy for changing oil on an in-board? I checked at West Marine on a couple units that suck the oil out through the dipstick hole, but they had bad reviews for leaking, and being underpowered. I'd like to change the oil in my boat before I take it out, but not sure what the best unit would be. :confused:

I have a heavy duty hose and fitting that stays connected to the oil pan drain. The hose has a cap on it and it will fit through the transom drain hole. When I need to change the oil, I push the hose out the transom and remove the cap. I use a 2 gallon container to catch the oil. $20 bucks plus S&H. here is a link.:) The only thing, you will have to drain the oil first to connect this hose. Oil change is a breeze, with this set up.

http://amarket.com/oldhose.htm

A simple way of adding the hose without draining all the oil is as follows.

1..take off oil fill cap.

2..adapt a small shop vac hose to oil fill opening.

3..get all tools and parts ready.

4..turn on shop vac and take out the oil drain plug.

5..attach drain hose and plumb tight.

6..shut off shop vac.

The shop vac sucks enough air through the drain hole that little or no oil will escape while you do the install. A 1 or 2 gallon vac is a perfect size.

HIH

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a Moeller unit from Overton's last year after the shop I take my boats and snowmobiles to charged me $120.00 for an oil change:eek:

The Moeller works very well. Just warm the motor for a few minutes and slide the tube into the dipstick ( it comes with different size tubing and fittings so it can be used for a variety of oil changes) Pump the handle a few times and it sucks all the oil out. It takes a few minutes, but it works well.

I thought about installing the drain tube, until I found out I would have to lift the motor to intall the parts.

The drain pipe/hose is a nice feature to have for sure.If it isnt a PITA your oil may even get changed when its due;).

When doing that you may consider the addition of fittings and ball valves for winterizing,small valves and and pipes to replace the pet-cocks for draining the water jackets makes winterizing alot eaiser.

This makes a trip to FL in the winter more pleasant if you not upside down hugging the engine,wishing you had an extra elbow on each arm,before you come home to freezing cold MI.:eek: