Walleye AuGres 07-02-09

L to R Mel D, Myself, and Jack W. managed a 3 man limit out of AuGres. We fished 36-40 FOW pulling 9 lines. We had two rods with 3oz bouncers and meat over the sides. We had 7 inline boards rigged with 2 oz bouncers and crawler harnesses. All the action was near the bottom. We had 2 nice fish come unbuttoned close to the boat, one being in the 7-8# class. Same old colors Chartreuse, Red, and purple. Gitter Done.

I'll fish tomorrow, but then I'll turn the fishing over to the weekend warriors. I'd rather steer clear of the crowds, on holiday weekends. Some of the things that go on at the ramps and the lake really bug me. For the most part it's a different scene on weekdays.:) Anyone venturing out over the holiday weekend, BE SAFE.

walleye_augres_07-02-09.jpg

Boat looks great Frank. Do you use your riggers for walleye out there? We have a set we use for salmon, but have never broke em out for walleye. Just curious i guess.

I do run a rigger once in a great while, but mostly use the rigger rod holders to transport rods.

I never measured any of the fish, but I think the larger fish was closer to 26 inches.

Do you have any pointers.I am going to Au Gres tomorrow morning. Probably won't get there until 9 or 10. I have never fished there before.Coming down from Gaylord.

The best pointer I could give you, is skip tomorrow and come back Mon. or Tue. If you must fish tomorrow I would start in 34-35 FOW. I would use 3 oz bottom bouncers with harnesses over the sides. I would run 2 oz bouncers, and harnesses off inline boards. If the action slows move deep. Sometimes there is also a shallow water bite. It's kind of a play it by ear thing.:) Start trolling at 1.5 MPH GPS and vary the speed up or down if that doesn't work. I hope this helps you. OH!!!! Sometimes the bite slows around 11 AM. You may want to try earlier especially if it's a clear sunny day.

The best pointer I could give you, is skip tomorrow and come back Mon. or Tue. If you must fish tomorrow I would start in 34-35 FOW. I would use 3 oz bottom bouncers with harnesses over the sides. I would run 2 oz bouncers, and harnesses off inline boards. If the action slows move deep. Sometimes there is also a shallow water bite. It's kind of a play it by ear thing.:) Start trolling at 1.5 MPH GPS and vary the speed up or down if that doesn't work. I hope this helps you. OH!!!! Sometimes the bite slows around 11 AM. You may want to try earlier especially if it's a clear sunny day.

Thanks for the info. We have to come tomorrow on account of, the friends going with me have to work on Mon.Do you think we could get some fish off of downriggers?

Thanks for the info. We have to come tomorrow on account of, the friends going with me have to work on Mon.Do you think we could get some fish off of downriggers?

I have taken some walleye off the riggers but haven't used them at all this year. Most of the time walleye hit lightly. Using riggers, they sometimes do not release. If you do use riggers keep checking them, to make sure you're not dragging a dink.