Yesterday through this weekend marks the farewell tour of my old cannons. The tour kicked off with a last minute trip to Keweenaw bay last night. Got out late, but still managed to catch three kings.

A friend of mine is moving away this week, and he wanted to get out in the boat one last time.

Here he is with the catch... (Sorry, camera phone pics aren't the greatest)

0624092342.jpg

0625090045a.jpg

Nice catch Josh! We have nothing left but lakers in munising bay:mad: I think we are going to try Fairport this weekend. No good report from there yet but they have to turn on some time and i want to be there when they do!!

Nice catch! Keep me posted about Fairport eh!

Just thought I'd share some pics from a trip a couple weeks ago when I took out a couple friends on Keweenaw Bay.

This was the biggest one. 31 inch King, anybody got a guess on the weight, I'm not good with that stuff and I don't have a scale. Just know it tasted GREAT!

0527092239b.jpg

5 fish in total. 2 kings 2 coho and a lake skunk

0527092239.jpg

It rained that day, but the best thing about rain is the cool rainbow afterwards. This rainbow turned the water red it was so bright!

0527092129a.jpg

0527092129.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

I had the chance to take a first timer out last night. A buddy of mine from my softball team had never been salmon trolling. The salmon didn't let us down!

We got out around 6:30 and trolled until 9:00 with only 2 lakers in the boat, and you could see the worried looks on their faces. Then we finally hooked a salmon, about a 3 pound coho. My buddy gottem up to the surface and the fish threw the hook. At this point he was really worried he missed his only chance at a salmon.

Then came the 15 minutes of fame. We hit two nice kings on the next pass, then turned around and hit another king (6 pounder) on the way back. The fish had darted at the boat and dove under the trolling motor and got wrapped up, so i reached over to pick him up and the net some how fell in the lake. I hurried to throw the fish in the livewell and cranked the boat back around to get the net. Once we got the net back, I told my friend to let out the flasher fly rig to 45 feet on the line counter reel, and I started to crank up the downrigger. I no sooner got about 4 cranks on the downrigger and a nice coho come up and slammed the flasher fly rig my buddy was holding on to. Got that that fish in and then the action went dead.

Just like I told him when we left the boat launch. "Sometimes it can be 4 hours of nothing for 15 minutes of fame."

IMG_0039.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It had been almost 2 weeks since my last fishing adventure. Had to get my fix last night. Got 5 Fish (3 King, 2 Lakers). Some good eats here. Oh yeah, went home last weekend and found one of my dad's old nets and changed out the netting with my POS net. I forgot how easy it was to net a fish when the fish don't fall threw the gaping holes in it. Sad though, landed alot of fish with that net, just wasn't getting the job done anymore.

Here's the proof.

IMG_0093.jpg

Damn Josh, you're making me jealous. I'm hoping to have my boat up and running by Saturday. After seeing those pics the parts will need to be overnighted. Hope to be on the water this Sunday AM. I was tossing around the idea of heading down to Fairport next weekend but might have to head up your way instead. I'll call if I'm heading up.

Big Tuna

Fairport should heat up again if we get this sustained north blow for a few days like they are talking. We had to go 130' down with the probe in 150fow to get below 55 degrees:confused: This should mix it up a bit....best of luck if you make it down there and stop back in and give us a report wherever you decide to fish......and welcome to the site!! If you get a chance stop into the welcome center forum and introduce yourself. There is a great bunch of guys here that are willing to share a lot of info!!

ya, i've been poking around here for a while but finally decided to post. my user name is larson19 on some of the other forums. i've talked to you before Bromley. How much longer until you're a daddy? September, correct?

ya, i was hoping this north wind would pull up some cold water down there. now i know how you felt without a boat this summer, sucks. i had some engine troubles a few weeks back down in fairport and i'm having some problems finding parts. i'm was hoping to have everything together by tomorrow, but it's looking like some of the parts won't be here until Monday. :( I have a buddy that's never been to Fairport yet that's making the trip down with me. If you here of any reports down that way Bromley, keep me updated. I'd rather hit Fairport for one last trip of the year if the fishing is good. Our last trip down there (7/31-8/2) he hit our limit every trip out.

Tuna

The boat situation really hurt this year as it took me the better part of 2 months to get everything situated with BRP but it was worth the wait now with that new power head behind me now. Only problem i have now is that the baby is due in the next 3 weeks and have to be on stand by or at least somewhere that there is cell phone coverage....which rules fairport out!! I was a little nervous being there last week even. A buddy, Daybreak on up angler, is headed down to manistique for a week in his new tiara so i should have some reports as he will run south close the fairport waters. Good luck and i will post up if i hear anything!!