and he is caught

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand_rapids/Fisherman_admits_poaching_sturgeon

Fisherman admits

poaching sturgeon

Man faces poaching charges

Updated: Wednesday, 24 Jun 2009, 11:34 AM EDT

Published : Wednesday, 24 Jun 2009, 11:34 AM EDT

Henry Erb

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - A Grand Rapids man has apparently confessed to catching and keeping a protected sturgeon which he caught near the 6th Street Dam on May 17 despite cries of protest from onlookers.

Some of them snapped his picture with the big fish and the DNR went to the media with the story in an effort to catch him.

The DNR said the man turned himself in after seeing media reports.

Poaching a lake sturgeon could bring up to 180 days in jail along with thousands in fines and costs. The DNR may also charge the 30-year-old man's father. The elder man helped him load and drive the fish away.

The fish are rare and protected except in a few Michigan locations. They can live to be 100-years-old, but are slow to reproduce, making the loss of just one fish fairly significant, according to the DNR.

The man claims he eventually threw the dead sturgeon back in the river, according to the DNR, who won't identify the man until he is arraigned on the poaching charge July 9.

Yeppers. I just got a word on this today and am gladthey caught this SOB already. What a bone head in front of all those people. I hope they throw the book at him and its granite. Disgrace anyone let him leave without a license plate or a few less teeth.:angry2: Gonna take a long time to replace a fish like that. Fines should go to raising more sturgeon in my opinion not to the Gov.

I wish they would stop referring to him as a fisherman, errrrrr......

• 2 weeks later...