Finally got another boat!

MY2SONS

Any thoughts on brand of downrigger? I've always had Cannons, but I hear a lot of good things about Big Jons. I like the idea of supporting Michigans economy since they're made here, but not familiar with them. Any Big Jon owners opinions would be helpful......Cannon owners too.

I have a pair of the Big Jon Pro Tournament riggers and really like them. I know Mike just upgraded to Brute's. These allow you to fish with a 20 lb cannonball. Big Jon's are top quality and the service is second to none.

Here is my open opinion. Cannons seem to be a nice rigger and have some collaboration advantages that make them unique and they are fast on retrieval and also taut a 20# weight capacity, however that weight capacity and durability from a long term perspective is questionable in my opinion with a telescopic boom and composite plastic body. The advantages i see for Big Jon are their durability which is unparalleled by any company as well as any issues are taken care of by these guys in a time frame that will amaze you and have you back fishing in no time and as you mentioned the made in michigan stamp helps. The disadvantage that Big Jon has, other than the brute series which has adjustable speed settings up to 250 ft per min, is that they are not quite as fast as a cannon, but in my opinion durability and the service factor alone made my decision an easy one with Big Jon.

I forgot to mention that it is not uncommon for Big Jon to call a wear and tear issue out under warranty between 5 and 10 years after purchase and that is tough to beat

Edited by A-Fishy-Anado
Add

very nice boat. and my opion on down riggers is big jons. i have been out with friends some use walker some cannon and 1 uses big jon captian packs. i found the big jons are the smoothest operating from a newbie stand point which i am. only down side about the big jons is and this might just be because of the boat that the switches are easily bumped causing a big ole nasty birds nest with the cable. agian its just my opion on it

• 7 months later...

Thanks. The boat has changed a bit since I bought it. I've added a couple rod trees, rod holders, and a few other items. I'm still saving up for some electric downriggers. Looking at either Vectors, or Cannons. I'll try posting some pics from last Summer showing the transformation.:D

One more try.

docked_wages.jpg

dsc03255.jpg

Getting anxious to put it in the water. Next month I'm having the bottom paint, and barrier coat redone. Seeing all these beautiful pics of salmon is really giving me the fever. I've got a couple manual Cannon downriggers for her this year until I save up the coin for electrics. Would like to add four riggers. Two out-and-downs, and two down the chute.

• 2 months later...

I really like it. I recently added two Cannon Digi Troll IV HS downriggers that I picked up for a steal at Gander Mountain. Gander decided not to carry this model because it wasn't a hot seller due to the price ($1,400.00 each). They sold them to be brand new in the box below cost!:thumb: I want to put the boat in my slip, but the weather hasn't been cooperating. :mad:

Where did you get the spoon holder you have mounted on the transom of your boat? That's a good idea, and I'd like to add something like that to my boat. :thumb:Is that built in, or attached?

I have a Garlick (sp?) hydraulic lift on the back, but currently don't have a kicker. I'm trying to find out what size to get that will push a boat that size. Are you having problems with interference?

Ya we've had some issues with our depth raider and their tr1 but depth raider is working with us to fix them. They just developed a noise filter that should fix the problem. We have a 15 horse kicker and it will push us about 6-7 mph on a calm day. Talk to Happy Days Boating about any questions. Those guys really know there stuff about those boats and the kicker setup. I have never found a marine dealer as knowledgable or willing to help as those guys.

I wonder if I'll have similar issues with my Moor Subtroll.:confused: I'd like to put a Honda 4-stroke long-shaft on the back of her. Does Happy Days deal with Hondas?

I think they do. If you are going to get the tr1 and use a subtroll I would hook everything up on the subtroll with the wires run ontop the deck first to see if it works before taking the time to hide them in the sides. My guess is you will have some issues and might need a noise filter also. The signal strength on the tr1 must be alot stronger.