Downrigger Releases

I was just curious as to what releases everyone uses. I'm using a Walker adjustable line release and am not happy with them. I'm still new to the salmon world, but ALL the hits I've had by salmon or trout have not tripped the release. The only fish to have tripped the release was a perch, and I still don't know how he did it. Everyone I've talked to says I use the release correct and I have the tension adjusted as low as it can. Any advice or suggestions on a new release would be appreciated. Thanks!

I built my own release with some 1/8 aluminum welding rod, and use rubberbands, but im thinking about trying the blacks myself. Man does that get great reviews. Would be nice to not have to worry about rubber bands in general, along with them breaking when fishing really deep. They seem to toughen up when fished real deep. Ive also read quite a bit about the Chamberlain release as well and it gets rave reviews. Even finer tune adjustments then the blacks. Has both rod tension and fish tension adjustments.

Blacks seem to run about $9.99 each and the chamberlain about $21.99 each.

• 1 year later...

i just went to the chamberlain this year. havent had a chance to use them yet. but they sure seem to be the answer to the small fish problem. you can set rod tension then you can set lure tension. downriggerrelease.com check it out for yourself. have a great season.

....sherman....

hey guys and gals

its me again. some guys are talking about the price of the chamberlains. if there worth the extra few $$$ then its not that bad. also midwesthuntersoutlet.com had them for 12.99 the other day and 4.99 flat shipping for everything you bought. and you can go to keiths web site(he,s the guy who makes them) if you do be sure to watch the video. he,s going to have the ultamate stacker out in may. the only thing is if you use a bead type auto stop you,ll have to add another bead above where you plan to stack. or just watch for the stacker and stop before it hits the bead. but just bringing up the rigger the release will trip when it hits the pully and just slide down your cable to your bead or your weight if you dont use beads. i only stack about 5 ft above my weight if i stack at all so it wont bother me. downriggerrelease.com and contact keith and he,ll sell you 6 releases for 17.00 each. i think thats 102.00 for 6 and that includes shipping. sorry again about such a long post. im just trying to help. i get fired up and cant shut up.LOL. i,m new to forums so i should burn down alittle before long. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GREAT SEASON

....sherman....