1 and 2 pound weights

I was wondering how to tell how much line to let out while using 1 and 2 pound weights to get to a certain depth using 30 pound mono.I am wanting to try and fish really deep this summer with one rod. I thought I would just use one of my dipsy rods. Because my riggers can't handle 20 pound cannon balls.I read about fishing deep in GL Angler mag. and thought it would work where I fish because the salmon seem to disappear at the end of July through the middle of August. So I think they are probably there just hugging bottom.

it is gonna be speed and current sensitive when I go to 1lb balls I just let em out till they hit reel em up a min and let em back out till they hit again. once I know where bottom is for sure reel in about 5 to 20 ft and troll if depth or cond change find bottom again and reset. Once I know I am close to the bottom I change speeds now and then to let em hit bottom. I get more Lakers than Kings but is often the bigger fish.

if you wanna fish deep i would use a super line( power pro, fire line ,ect) i would make your own deep chart start out in a 50 fow and see how much line it takes to get down then move out farther and write down all of the data you have collect. this might take a while but i might be worth it.

well i use a 1.5 pound and hit bottom in 150 fow going 2.7 i can remember how far its was but i thing that going 2.7 with a 1.5 pound im 50 fow i have let 75 feet of line out have have tested it maney times to make sure things a hitting bottom and are about the same

let out you super line or wire slow, slow, slow. Then like JIM said after the weight contacts bottom, reel up and let it bounce bottom again, then you can set your depth. Can't tell you how much line to put out at what depth as current, trolling speed, lure, weight of line, weight of lead, etc.. all factor in.