Salmon Brine

silver one

Smoked up about 10lbs of salmon last night and tried a new brine

Took a water bath canner pot and filled it with water untill salmon was well submerged.

Next added 1/2 cup of sea salt.

Then added 4 cups of Apple juice

1 cup of wosterchire sauce

1 cup of Teryachie sauce.

1 cup of Burbon. ( Whatever your falvor is, I used Jack Daniels)

Let the fish soak in brine for 24hrs, Removed fish from brine. Pat dry with paper towel. and let air dry for about a 1/2 hour. Next I seasond the fish with old Bay. this is my favorite fish seasoning. Then put on the smoker. I do fish at 225 degrees for approx 2hrs depending on the sieze of each piece. Used apple wood and cheery. For fish I like alot of smoke. I will smoke it heavy for atleast 1 to 1.5 hours of the whole process. Very Tasty.

• 1 year later...

i found in my smoking that if i keep the heat to around 180 durining the first hour to 2 hours that the fish has a better smoke taste to it.

i'll have to try that brine always on the look out for a new taste.

the brine i make up is: and not trying to hijack your post:

1 gallon water

2 cups morton tender quick salt

1 small box of dark brown sugar

1 bottle treoki sause

1/4 bottle liguid smoke

1/4 cup of capt morgan

let soak for 24 to 36 hours and smoke

i found in my smoking that if i keep the heat to around 180 durining the first hour to 2 hours that the fish has a better smoke taste to it.

i'll have to try that brine always on the look out for a new taste.

the brine i make up is: and not trying to hijack your post:

1 gallon water

1 bottle treoki sause

1/4 bottle liguid smoke

1/4 cup of capt morgan

Treoki???? Or Teriyaki? Just want to make sure im not missing out on something new, sounds good :grin:

treoki???? Or teriyaki? Just want to make sure im not missing out on something new, sounds good :grin:

teriyaki. Thanks for pointing out that i had no idea how to spell that. I might have had a chance if that were an actual english word. But only a chance.

I'll have to try that brine always on the look out for a new taste.

The brine i make up is: And not trying to hijack your post:

1 gallon water

1 bottle treoki sause

1/4 bottle liguid smoke

1/4 cup of capt morgan

dont feel bad i butchered that word to. AS FAR AS SMOKE TEMP I THINK IT DEPENDS ON THE SMOKER. MY OLD SMOKER I WOULD NOT HAVE DARED THAT HIGH OF TEMP. MY NEW ONE SEEMS TO BE PERFECT WITH THAT TEMP.

Here is one that I use:

1cup morton canning & pickleing salt

1 to 2 cups dark brown sugar. your taste

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup teriyaki sauce

8 to 10 oz honey

1 tbsp lemon juice

1 tbsp seasoned salt

1 tbsp onion powder

1 tbsp garlic powder

1 tbsp lemon pepper

1/2 tbsp liquid smoke

2 1/2 gallons apple juice

3 cups water

3 to 5 bay leaves

mix all but apple juice in pan bring to boil stir until all dry ingredients are disolved

add 1/2 gallon apple juice ,let cool down.rinse and add fish into large plastic bowl cover

with brine,weigh down with plate.refridgerate 12 hrs or overnight. remove from brine rinse

well put on cooling racks for bout 1 hr.can put fan blowing on to speed up sheening prossess

save brine for top pan in smoker.while fish is sheening soak wood chips 1/4 gallon apple juice

after fish get a sheen on smoke at 200 to 300 degrees 4to8 hrs add chips as needed enjoy

Here is how i smoke fish

brine

2 liter picture of water

1 cup canning salt

1 1/2 cup brown sugar

3 tbsp franks red hot

1 tbsp black pepper

1 tsp onion salt

1 tsp garlic powder or granulated garlic

2 tbsp worchestershire sauce.

i also add cajun seasoning sometimes 1 tsp

use hot water to disolve all product quicker then add just enough ice to get to room temp. you need enough salt to float an egg(raw in the shell) then 6 ounces more water to make sure botulism doesn't set in. brine fish 12 hours. DO NOT RINSE. dry on paper towell for a good hour to two hours to let the pellicle set up.

smoker i always try to do a slow smoke 120 and never the 160 short smoke.

if i am doing a slower smoke to get a richer smoke flavor 120 for about 8- 10 hours mix of apple or cherry and hickory chips for a rounded flavor. fish really absorbs the smoke in the first two hours.

if i am pressed for time 160 for 6 hours

you want a good stream of smoke coming out of the smoker but not to heavy as you can over smoke the fish and turn it to rubber. a test to check your smoke level is to take a tall glass fill with ice and the fill with cold water. wait till moisture forms on the outside of the glass. and the glass itself is ice cold. hold the glass in the stream of smoke for a few minutes dump water and look at the bottom of the glass. if you are getting black flecks on the bottom you are getting to much smoke and you will get the bitter nasty cresote taste to your fish

if you go any hotter than that, you are just cooking the fish and the smoke doesnt penetrate as deep into the flesh. you may as well just cook on a grill with cedar planks. and save your time. enjoy

• 5 weeks later...

Here's another recipe to try. 1 gal water- if using tap and chlorinated let stand for an hour prior to using. 1 1/2 to 2 cups of canning salt (your salt pref) I use 1 1/2. 2 cups dark drown suger 1-2 cups Mogan David 20/20 wine 1/4 lemon juice Mix well, layer fish, let sit for min 12hrs 24 being best.( I have heard some smokehouses let brine for up to 4 days) Rinse fish with good water,pat dry and let sit to pelicle. (will give the meat a glaze) takes about an hr. Bring smoker up to temp of 125. Place meat skin down or if skinless use cheesecloth on sprayed racks. Add chips of choice to smokerbox. (hickory my fav) Smoke on for at least 4hrs up to 12hrs (6 being my choice) Turn heat up to 165-170 for 4hrs or till your likeing. I do a taste test after 3. On larger fillets I use a temp gauge. When done leave stand till cool. This seems to release the skin from the racks easier. A few tips I have learned. Larger fillets need more time for brinning. I cut the tail section off as well as thinner portions of the meat and add to brine later. I at times will brush honey over meat after smoking proccess.

Edited by fuzzy
seperate formula

• 7 months later...

I use Hi Mountain Salmon brine, add 1/4 cup brown sugar per gallon of brine. Smoke with apple, 150 degrees. Everyone likes this so well that I haven't tried anything else, and it's easy.

• 3 months later...

Here is the one i use and everyone loves it , i use this on fillets with skin on.

2qts of water

1 cup non iodized salt

2 lemons

1 cup moscato white wine

1 cup pineapple juice

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 onion

2 garlic cloves

1/4 cup soy sauce

1 cup zesty italian salad dressing

Put two qts water in pot with garlic and chopped onion let simmer for 5 to 10 min

than i turn it off add brown sugar and salt mix it up real well so salt and sugar disolve than i put in fridge to let cool. after its cool i add wine,squeeze lemmons into it,soy sauce,zesty italian dressing and pineapple juice mix well than place fish in, i try to move fish around every few hous if possible, let sit in fridge for 16 to 24 hours "i leave mine in for 24" take out and let sit for an hour than pop em in the smoker i smoke mine for 6 to 8 hrs around 140, 160 deg and i use apple wood, let me know what ya think if you try this

• 5 months later...

Took a water bath canner pot and filled it with water untill salmon was well submerged.

Let the fish soak in brine for 24hrs, Removed fish from brine. Pat dry with paper towel. and let air dry for about a 1/2 hour. Next I seasond the fish with old Bay. this is my favorite fish seasoning. Then put on the smoker. I do fish at 225 degrees for approx 2hrs depending on the sieze of each piece. Used apple wood and cheery. For fish I like alot of smoke. I will smoke it heavy for atleast 1 to 1.5 hours of the whole process. Very Tasty.

Joe,

Thanks for the great recipe. Lots of compliments on the flavor!!

;)

• 3 months later...

Joe,

I used Alder wood chips on the last batch. Once again lots of thumbs up.

Thanks again!

Tom

Ive never tried it with alder chips. might try mixing it in with what I use. another good wood to smoke with is pear wood from a pear tree. use it while it is still a little green. I have done this with Venison Jerkey mixed with some cheery and hickory and you could actually taste the sweetness of the pear wood in the Jerkey. Very good flavor.

thanks for the feedback.:thumb:

I ran out of apple chips, so I stopped at Fleet and Farm to pick some up. WELL... I was not paying attention and I forgot which chips I used last time, I ended up grabbing the alder chips. I had some Alder smoked fish when I was in Alaska, it is very common up there for smoking fish. I must have out thought myself.

I will keep an eye out for the pear, sounds great. Always willing to try something new.

• 8 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2010 at 11:50 PM, Line Dancin said:

Here is how i smoke fish

brine

2 liter picture of water

1 cup canning salt

1 1/2 cup brown sugar

3 tbsp franks red hot

1 tbsp black pepper

1 tsp onion salt

1 tsp garlic powder or granulated garlic

2 tbsp worchestershire sauce.

i also add cajun seasoning sometimes 1 tsp

use hot water to disolve all product quicker then add just enough ice to get to room temp. you need enough salt to float an egg(raw in the shell) then 6 ounces more water to make sure botulism doesn't set in. brine fish 12 hours. DO NOT RINSE. dry on paper towell for a good hour to two hours to let the pellicle set up.

smoker i always try to do a slow smoke 120 and never the 160 short smoke.

if i am doing a slower smoke to get a richer smoke flavor 120 for about 8- 10 hours mix of apple or cherry and hickory chips for a rounded flavor. fish really absorbs the smoke in the first two hours.

if i am pressed for time 160 for 6 hours

you want a good stream of smoke coming out of the smoker but not to heavy as you can over smoke the fish and turn it to rubber. a test to check your smoke level is to take a tall glass fill with ice and the fill with cold water. wait till moisture forms on the outside of the glass. and the glass itself is ice cold. hold the glass in the stream of smoke for a few minutes dump water and look at the bottom of the glass. if you are getting black flecks on the bottom you are getting to much smoke and you will get the bitter nasty cresote taste to your fish

if you go any hotter than that, you are just cooking the fish and the smoke doesnt penetrate as deep into the flesh. you may as well just cook on a grill with cedar planks. and save your time. enjoy

I agree with the cooler temps. I let mine air dry for an hour on the counter, then start my smoker on low with no smoke for 2 hours to dry the fish. Never let my smoker get above 160.