copper wire need help

I am going to replace my 15 and 20 color lead cores with copper. I was thinking of going with 300ft of 30lb and 300ft of 45lb or maybe a 450ft of 30lb instead of the 300ft of 45lb are these good choices?? I will be useing convector cv55. I have never used copper before but i have read alot about it and think is time to make the switch. I have been told it flat out catches fish. Will my church boards be ok with these copper set-ups? or do I need bigger boards. Any info would be great thanks rob

If I was running just 2 coppers it would be 300' of 45# howie, and 300' of 30#. those 2 have taken a lot of fish over the years. I run 100 and 200 in 45# also. You have to get used to copper a little but when you do it does usually outfish everything else. CAUTION- you need to keep a thumb on the spool at all times when you start to let your copper out to keep it from overspooling. If it does, push the line back on the reel a little and grab it on the back side of the reel and pull up on it to get it free. Hard to explain but you'll figure it out because no matter how hard you try it happens(overspool). I hear the new nickel plated is much better for this but costs more. Copper can be spliced easy by just overlapping about 3" and wrapping in both directions like a haywire twist. Copper is well worth the occasional headache. The newer the copper the more it wants to overspool also.

I run 45lb. I run 150' 300' 450' and 600' all off my church boards. We double wrap the backer ( 50 lb braid) in the front so it doesnt slide through and never have a probleb. The 600 pulls hard but the board still takes it out. And yes they catch fish. Last weekend we pulled 7 on the 300, and the rest on wire divers.

I have set-ups of 200,250,300 & 400' of 45# copper. The Church boards pull them just fine. As mentioned, I double wrap the 50# PP on the release. I wouldn't bother with the 30# copper, as the sink rate doesn't differ much from lead core. JMO

300' of 45# copper would be a good choice for the CV55. It's important to have a large eyelet on the tip of your rod that you're using for copper.

Your fishing buddies will thank you for the change over to copper.:lol:

thanks alot guys where would I get the nickle plated copper? I think I am going to go with a 300 and 400 with 45lb. Dose anyone know if the 400 would fit on a CV55.

The 55's will be big enough. I am to the understanding that the 30 # will only get the same depth as your lead with the same distance out. Here is a chart for the 45 #

Target Depths for Segments of 45# Copper

75ft 15-25 ft down

150ft 35-50 ft down

300ft 60-90 ft down

450ft 110-140ft down

Remember that copper is a differant beast than lead. It is very touchy be carefull when letting it out or you could have a major mess.

Good luck and tight lines

you dont need a roller rod for copper. okuma came out with an inexpensive copper rod. they are 36 bucks i think at outdoorsman in jenison. i treid two out and am going to go back and get a couple more. they are actually a nice rod for the money. Personally i like opti tackle copper or atomic copper better than howies. it is twisted a little more and easier to tie knots with it.

One thing to make life a whole lot easier with the 55s is to call okuma and order two new line guides. they have a wide mouth out now that allows the copper to go through it much easeir. it'll be the best 15 bucks you'll ever spend with running copper. If you need contact info pm me.