Dipsy run out?

Anyone have a real good idea as to how far out from the boat a 4 1/4" dipsy set on 3 with 30 braid runs out from the boat? I guess what I am really asking is, can I run a full core on a board with a 100' of line from rod tip to board and a dipsy back 200' on 3 is there a major chance of tangling them up if a fish hits ether one?

Duane

Duane this is a good question. I have had my Dipsys come up under my lead core and it makes a mess. I have started running my deep Dipsys on setting 1 and my high lines on 2 or 2 1/2 but don't run much past 80 feet. My high lines are tward the front of the boat in the rod holders and the deep ones are near the back of the boat. Hope this helps. Tom

My guess is that that diver is running 60' down depending on what lure and speed you are running. At a 45 degree angle that diver is running 140' out to the side. Shorten the angle to 30 degrees and it's only 40' out to the side.

Sure there's a chance at tangling, but even worse running 4 divers and copper.

My typical spread besides the downrigger, on one side of the boat consists of a wire diver on #3, a full core, half core, and a 2 or 3 color.

I have been running this spread for the last 2 season and have yet to have a tangle.

This past weekend I ran a deep diver on 1.5(with mag ring), a high diver on 3.5(with mag ring), a full core, and a half core on one side.

I control the boat when we have a fish on, and keep the fish in the center of the boat. Whomever is driving at the time probably gets tired of me saying..."turn right, turn right, turn left, turn right, turn right", but it prevent tangles.

I run my braid diver on 2.5 setting or some times 2 when I run core it is well away from the boat I have had the diver come up into my copper once that sucked. I am never in a hurry to bring a fish up when I have a lot of gear out I want them well behind the boat before I start pulling them up I have also been known to widen my boards a bit when a fish hits the divers at least the one on that side may often be to late to move it but worth a chance and to keep it from dropping I just loosen the drags on the core or copper and let them walk away. Simple fact is if you run a lot of lines you risk a lot of tangles.

Thanks for the info, everyone. I know that soon I'll be pulling the half core and start using my dipsys. I guess running the full core further from the boat is a start and maybe the dipsy on 2 rather than 3 will be my starting set up on each side.

Duane

I completely agree on several topics. First, the guy at the helm has to be on his toes when driving while a fish is on. Second, GLF's typical spread is very similiar to mine. I'll run a dipsey(braided or wire) on a #2 setting, then either a full core or 300' of copper, then a half, then a 2 or 3 color core. I comfortably run 10-12 lines on my 18' Lund without issues.

I'll add one additional note. I've gone to running my planer boards with the balance weight more toward the front of the board. I think it helps the board go further to the side of the boat and get pulled less to the back of the boat.

I find it's best to practice and practice, so I'll be fishing this weekend :grin:

--Jason

My typical spread besides the downrigger, on one side of the boat consists of a wire diver on #3, a full core, half core, and a 2 or 3 color.

I have been running this spread for the last 2 season and have yet to have a tangle.

This past weekend I ran a deep diver on 1.5(with mag ring), a high diver on 3.5(with mag ring), a full core, and a half core on one side.

I control the boat when we have a fish on, and keep the fish in the center of the boat. Whomever is driving at the time probably gets tired of me saying..."turn right, turn right, turn left, turn right, turn right", but it prevent tangles.

Hey Jason, thanks for the info. I usually run 8 lines and not to much trouble. I really like your advice on practice, practice! I intend to follow that! Most years I fish 120 times, with about a third of that on the great lakes somewhere. Maybe I'll have to increase that? Fortunately my wife is pretty understanding.

Duane

I completely agree on several topics. First, the guy at the helm has to be on his toes when driving while a fish is on. Second, GLF's typical spread is very similiar to mine. I'll run a dipsey(braided or wire) on a #2 setting, then either a full core or 300' of copper, then a half, then a 2 or 3 color core. I comfortably run 10-12 lines on my 18' Lund without issues.

I'll add one additional note. I've gone to running my planer boards with the balance weight more toward the front of the board. I think it helps the board go further to the side of the boat and get pulled less to the back of the boat.

I find it's best to practice and practice, so I'll be fishing this weekend :grin:

--Jason

I agree with Jason and Mike, the person at the helm is just as important as the one with the rod to avoid tangles and land the fish. Of course sometimes the fish just doesnt cooperate!:(

I usually run a mag diver on 1, high diver on 2.5, full core and half core on each side. I set all my lines straight out the back of the boat and bring the fish in the same way. Good fishin:grin: