Rubber bands with Blacks releases

Earlier this year I tried using rubber bands with Blacks releases. I was half hitching the band to the mono and putting the band in the release. It didn't work too well because the mono would slip. Do I just need to give the line a couple of twists or something to stop the slipping? I was also using pretty skinny bands which may be the issue too. Thanks. - Bud

Earlier this year I tried using rubber bands with Blacks releases. I was half hitching the band to the mono and putting the band in the release. It didn't work too well because the mono would slip. Do I just need to give the line a couple of twists or something to stop the slipping? I was also using pretty skinny bands which may be the issue too. Thanks. - Bud

Just skip the bands and only use the Blacks.

We use the exclusively with no issues what so ever.

im with ken on this also...i like to adjust it tight so i can put a lot of preload in the rod...i love them releases...i tried rubber bands and hated dropping the rigger 75 ft..loading the rod and breaking the band and having to start over:angry2:

I was under the impression that a lot of guys liked using the bands with the Blacks to help detect shakers. It sure seemed easier to just twist the line a few times and clip it in so I'll go with that.

In the past, I ran the offshore pinch pads which worked pretty well but sometimes I'd pop them out when cranking down. That was always frustrating.

-- Bud

i would think if you twisted the line as if youwere putting it into the release and then half hitch the loop with the rubber band it would eliminate the slip if you wanted to run the bands...i could see where that might help with the shakers ...but like i said i like to have a little load on the rod and i havent had much luck loading on a rubber band

I use mostly rubber bands on big jon ban busters. It is frustrating when they break off and you have to reset. I have had good luck wrapping the band twice before cinching. Also make sure they aren't the orange color (natural rubber I think). I need to pick up some black's they sound great.

All u need to do is loop the main line twice around 2 fingers pass 1 end of the rubber band thru the 2 loops then back thru the other end of the rubber band it wont slip and be sure to use #16 bands. u can get them at any office supply store. If the 1 band isn't enough double them I do this when we are running big plugs or large flashers. I strongly reccomend the Big Jon Band buster as a terminal rig on your down rigger cable It is the easiest to use and is not very expensive.

P.S. I load the heck out of the rods and have no problems with breaking the bands prematurely. A small coho will break them and u never miss seeing the rod bounce when a shaker is on.

Good luck

Mike

Supertramp

All u need to do is loop the main line twice around 2 fingers pass 1 end of the rubber band thru the 2 loops then back thru the other end of the rubber band it wont slip and be sure to use #16 bands. u can get them at any office supply store. If the 1 band isn't enough double them I do this when we are running big plugs or large flashers. I strongly reccomend the Big Jon Band buster as a terminal rig on your down rigger cable It is the easiest to use and is not very expensive.

P.S. I load the heck out of the rods and have no problems with breaking the bands prematurely. A small coho will break them and u never miss seeing the rod bounce when a shaker is on.

Good luck

Mike

Supertramp

Thanks Mike, That's what I was looking for. I have the #16 bands. I'll give it a shot today when I get out. -- Bud

Let me know how that works for you. As a caveat I used to use the Walker releases, but like with all other hard fast releases too many shakers u never see bounce the bait. I went to rubberbands in about 1980. You will see the rod dance befor even a smaller fish breaks it loose. The one drawback is you will sometimes get a piece of rubberband stuck in the loops and it will stay there onto the reel. Just run your fingers down the line and usually it will come right out.

Mike

I have tried a lot of releases and really like pinch pads did not care for dragging shakers or having the ball spin on the way down and tangle the release. So I went back to the blacks above the ball no more tangles but still had shaker issues so I fixed the blacks so they will not open and run Off Shore releases behind them. Now I am pretty happy after running this a full season last year with no issues the Blacks spins freely above the ball or probe and does not tangle. The short cable between the Blacks and the pinch pad allows movement to detect shakers and still allows me to torque the rods down I can change pads to adjust the setup on the fly so I am pretty happy with it. Will be setting all my riggers up this way this year.

Let me know how it worked for you I have some other advice about the pieces of band getting caught and not coming out of the loops in the main line. Just pinch your fingers on the main line and slide over the piece of band it should come off easily that way.

Here's another advantage to the rubber bands. If I'm running something and I want to keep my spread the same configuration but want to change up the spoon/flasher-fly I bring the rigger up with the bands still attached. (fishing it up) and then release it from the band buster by hand . Then i reel the band in to the spoool (careful it doesn't catch the level wind). After I make my change I can set it back up with exactly the same distance from release to lure since the band has "held my place."

GLF taught me to twist the line about 12-15 times before you put it into the release.

We never get slipping and the release is always clean and easy. Fishsniffer and Nailer are right. Use the tension screws on the black until you get it right, then you never have to mess with it again.

Well, I got out for a little yesterday but didn't try the rubber bands. I'll give them another shot when I get a little more time out on the water. I do like the idea of being able to see a shaker. -- Bud