favorite ports

Hi guys, I mainly fish walleye in Lake Erie, but over the past couple of years I've become addicted to salmon fishing. And I make numerous trips in july and august each year to Ludington. But this year I'm coming sooner and more south, like the south haven, port sheldon area. But I need help/info on ports, marinas and ramps etc. My rig is a 27' Baha so once I'm in the water I like to stay on the boat in a transit dock. Pleas guys Any info and opinions will be appreciated. Tell me where you like to go and why, fish stories are also always welcome.

Thanks and good luck

Ryan

Eldean Shipyard in holland. http://www.eldean.com/ It is a very short ride to lake michigan from the marina. they have gas grills to cook on, nice swimming pool and hot tubs, fuel dock, ship store, restaurant, and a pizza place and a fish cleaning station. Bathrooms are clean with a bunch of showers. They have a parking garage with video cams. It is very clean and seems secure. I have never had a problem there. For my 23 ft it was 32 to 36 bucks a night i believe, but for the ammenities it is worth it. For launching there is a state park launch down and across the lake a little that is deep enough for your rig. they will tell you to use the yact club for free but they want 30 bucks in and 30 bucks out so don't waste your time in going there. Nice thing about the state launch is that a sticker for the whole season is reasonable. Only thing is mid afternoon all the idiots seem to be trying to launch and that can become a nightmare at times. Let me know when you are heading over.

Aaron

Holland, Grand Haven, and Muskegon would all be good choices. Holland and Muskegon is going to be way cheaper for slip rentals than in Grand Haven. The fishing is generally better in Grand Haven and Muskegon than in Holland once July and August come around, but it depends on how much you want to pay and where exactly you want to fish.

Port Sheldon is not a place to put in your boat, and there are no slips available there.

We need to know the time of year, to help you out with recommended ports. St. Joe is great in April. South Haven in May. Call the Black River Park in South Haven for a slip. The only thing you need to watch for is the bridge.

June is a slower month on the lake.

July and August, I would have to say Grand Haven and North.

Grand Haven is an expensive port to get a transient slip at. I think I paid 54 per night last year for a 27', and this was 45 minutes up river on Spring Lake.

Myself, I live near Kalamazoo, but slip my boat in Muskegon. I think it takes me an extra 20 minutes to get to Muskegon than to South Haven. After May, I think the fishing is better at Muskegon. Deep water is not far out. I was in 80FOW today, and I was less than 3 miles out.

Thanks for the input guys. GLF, I'm looking to fish that area the end of may and the first two weeks of june. Then I'll be back here on lake erie, then back to ludington in late july and august. I'm looking for a decent affordable marina somewhere near south haven, holland etc, that normally has good fishing that time of year. Thanks again guys

Ryan

The last week of May until the middle of June is USUALLY the slowest and toughest fishing from Muskegon southward. I would recommend Whitehall or Pentwater at this time. Otherwise, the Salmon can be few and far between, south of Whitehall. This is the time of the Grand Haven tournament and it is usually won by a boat making a long run to the Northland.

Whitehall is a nice quiet place with a lot less fishing pressure than other ports on the lake and some of the best fishing grounds.

Otherwise, Muskegon would be my southernmost choice, if I wanted to have some fun fishing for those three specific weeks.

Welcome aboard Ryan! I have gone 2 time to Erieau in Ontario. It was well worth it each time, any day you can go catch 17 steelhead and a mess of walleye at the same time...well you catch my drift. The numbers last year were even better. I did not go, but, my friend who took me b4 caught a load of fish in one day, almost 50, which just boggles my mind. I want to say that later june and into july are the good times to go. check it out! YOu will have a ball.