may 6th crappies

my wife teresa and i went to a lake in van buren county for some crappie fishin this evening fished for about an hour and then the rain came but boated this mess for dinner. fished around the lillypads with minnows under a bobber biggest was 11.5 in down to 9 in and a couple perch threw in for good measure

spring_crappies_5-7-09_thumb.jpg

Nice Roger.

My son and I were on Gun lake last night and all we caught were Pike and bass. water is a little cold yet the fish are still deep. Were any of them females and how deep of water were you targetting. reason I ask is we spend alot of time patterning crappies. water on gun is about 60 degrees still. once the water hits 64 ish 65 ish They will be up on the beds.

we were fishing about 3 ft of water. none of the fish we got had eggs in them so i dont know if the were spawned out already. im asumeing they were all males. but i was wondering if anyone knows do the males come in first and get the beds ready like i here some other kinds of fish do

we were fishing about 3 ft of water. none of the fish we got had eggs in them so i dont know if the were spawned out already. im asumeing they were all males. but i was wondering if anyone knows do the males come in first and get the beds ready like i here some other kinds of fish do

That is correct. The males like all of us do the hard work first and then the females come in and do there thing. They are a little late on gun this year as the water is still in the High 50s to low 60s once it hits about 64 they will move in. We always associate the stanley cup championship with our best crappie fishing. if they cup finals are on they we are out fishing for crappies.