Suggestions for Rod Combo for Trolling

I haven't been out boat fishing for a number of years, I just got a 12' jon boat and want to take up some inland lake trolling for pike, walleye and the like.

Any suggestions as to rod and reel combos that might be good choices? I was thinking of baitcasting reel and medium action 6-6 poll. Like to tow the lures with inline boards. Looking at Daiwa® Exceler® Baitcast Combo at

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat20285&navAction=jump&navCount=1&cmCat=MainCatcat20166&parentType=category&parentId=cat20166

Any opinion on two piece poles? There's not a lot of room in a 12 for tackle and I'm worried about busting up one piece poles.

For trolling I would get some line counter reels. The Okuma MA15DX will get the job done, and won't break the bank. The line counters enable you to duplicate what is working. They are not necessary, but they will surely make fishing more productive and easier.:) Some 7 ft med action rods will go well with these.

http://www.fishusa.com/Daiwa-Wilderness-Trolling-Rods_p.html

I have several of these and like them for downrigger and general trolling plus they are easy on the wallet.

http://www.northwoodsoutlet.com/oscommerce/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=4_38_130&products_id=1094

Scroll down to the magna 15DX is a hard reel to beat for trolling holds a lot of line and has a line counter so you can repeat what works.

Wow, that's a lot lower priced than what Ive been looking at, for a reel. I had been considering a line counter but hadn't seen anything in this price range. Thanks. I think I will give the Magna 15DX a try, you've never had any problem with the line pick up ratio of 5.5:1? I was leaning to faster models.

I have a dozen of the Okuma MA20DX I use for walleye. I haven't had any problems with them. I also have 6 or 7 of the larger sizes. I bought the 20s because at one time they were the same price as the 15s. They are plenty fast enough.:)

They are not burner reels but will get fish in every time. Another rod to consider is the Diawa Firewolf I have a 8ft 6in medium light action spooled with 14lb and it is a blast to catch fish with. You don't have to spend a ton to get good results but you do have to keep everything balanced out and getting the rod reel and line to all match and work well together. Trolling is done with boat control all the rod and reel do is put the bait in the right spot and reel in the fish.

• 2 weeks later...

I went up to Pinconning and got a pair of Daiwa LC27's and 7' Heartland Downrigger Rods, I've had them out a dozen times now and seen a bit of acton. I am very happy with my set up. I also picked up the Hummingbird Fishing Buddy 130 for my small boat and it works great too. Thanks for the tips!