South Haven Questions

Thanks to everyone for the reports. I want to give South Haven a try but have never fished out of there before. How's the access there? Any shallow areas in the river or other surprises? Is a south/ southwest troll the preferred direction? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Larry

Unless your in a sailboat you don't have much to worry about, just make sure you watch your rods and antennas when going under the bridge. Just like Fishwhisperer said trolling direction depends on the day but SW is a good place to start.

I launched a 27' Amberjack without any problems. Do not put your antenna or rods up before you go under the bridge.

My best troll yesterday was probably a SSW into the waves.

how do you get to the boat launch in south haven Is it a state or city launch.

It's a city launch. The easiest way is... right off exit 20 (Phoenix), right at the second light(Broadway), right on Dunkley (before the draw bridge), go strait at the stop sign. The launch is on the left.

thanks again for all the info. I may not be able to go now as i have come down with a nasty head cold. If i dont feel a litle better tomorrow i am headed for the doc and God i hope it isnt that flu going around. Otherwise if i am feeling half way ok i should be out there. Now i have to get antoer person or two to go. Nice to know about the fish cleaning station i will take my fillet knives with me.

Hey guys, just wondering about (depending on water level of a given day) high the bridge is from the water? My boat is a 271 baha with a hard top and rocket launchers, do you think it will clear or is there another launch? Never fished south haven before but I may be soon. Also, how deep is the launch area, my rig is straight inboard so i can't raise my prop.

thanks Ryan

I've seen many boats with rocket launchers pass under the bridge with no issues. Ussually, it's just fly bridges and sail boats that don't make it under.

There has been an operator lately. In addition, there is a measuring scale mounted at the bridge to tell you what the clearance is, so there's no guessing at the bridge height. You will only need to know the water clearance of your vessel.

I'm not aware of any other public launch.

Hope that helps ya. I've seen some good catches out of South Haven the past few days. I certainly wouldn't let the bridge stray you away with a 27' Baha hardtop.

Good fishin!

--Jason

Hey guys, just wondering about (depending on water level of a given day) high the bridge is from the water? My boat is a 271 baha with a hard top and rocket launchers, do you think it will clear or is there another launch? Never fished south haven before but I may be soon. Also, how deep is the launch area, my rig is straight inboard so i can't raise my prop.

thanks Ryan

I "think" the bridge opens every half hour on the hour. But dont hold me to it.

You are correect Mike. Not sure on what time it first opens, but the last one is @ 11PM. The clearance is about 10-11 feet, depending on the water level.

Just don't put any rods in any holders till you get past it and you will be fine.