Spooling Walleye Trolling Reels

Even the smaller sizes of Line Counter Reels will hold a few hundred yards of 10# mono. What I do is spool the reel about 3/4 full of 20# splice 10# to that and finish spooling. It's nice to use different colors so you can tell when the 10# starts getting scarce. This accomplishes a couple of things. Lets just say you spool your reel completely full of 10#. At the end of the season your down half way on the reel because of line striping etc. Your counter compared to full reels is not accurate. 200-300 ft of 10# is plenty for walleye. When you start seeing a lot of the backers color it's time to splice some 10# on. The 20# backer will last a quite a few seasons. You will always have fresh 10# mono and close to a full reel so your counters are accurate. The red lines and clear are my favorite opposing colors. It works for me. :)

I do much the same thing. Recently I bought a bulk spool of 20 lb. Magnaflex by Stren in a Neon Yellow for $10. I guess the tackle store could not sell the line. 3,000 yards at a great price!!! I have two rods set up with 10 lb flourocarbon as the final line and two rods set up with 20 lb braid!

Like you said, this is enough line for walleye!

Edited by Rayman96
spelling

Ditto on the backing. I've even used old orange and chartreuse planer board cord to fill in the backing space. Sure don't take much of that believe me. I used to simply reverse the line each year to use the un-used stuff under the old. But with 10 reels to fill, at about 8 cents or more per yard for 8/30 Power Pro, 100 yards is all I ever spool anymore on each reel. Your not being cheap, your being smart. :P:D