Eagle Seacharter 480?

My seacharter is two-years-old and I have already replaced the transducer once. For some reason this year, I have noticed when fishing in close (less than 7fow) my depth reading will read twice the depth of what is should be. For example I'll run into 6fow get the right depth on the sonar and then it reads 12 fow. Or it will read 5.5 and then show 11fow. Any reason for this? I've also noticed that just before planing out from shallow water I'll read 200fow when sitting in 6fow. After I get out to about 7/8 fow everything is fine. No problems.

Tom

I think it was in Great Lakes Angler that I read if you have a high power sonar you may find this type of depth reading issue in shallow water. I have a Seafinder 480 DF but I have yet to experience any problems in shallow water.

I think it just has to do with a sonar that's designed for deeper water - what the article said anyways :D

DAN

Finally broke down and called Lowrance and they said that I was getting a double echo. I haven't done it yet, but they said I need to adjust the depth reading when fishing that tight. Will have to see??

Tom