Using Scents Q & A.

A while back I found a post about scents for crankbaits, damned if I can find it again. I know several thought it was a good idea to give the cranks a spray of two, but I can't remember for the life of me what seemed to be the best/most popular scent. I know Gander has some garlic, crawfish scents etc. don't know if I want to use one of these or if something else would be better Any input or pros/cons on scent would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dan

Dan.

I used to Pro Staff for Dr. Juice years ago. This scent is still on the market today and has been improved to not take the paint off your lures, like it did years ago. And I believe it is still a good product, as it worked for me even when it had that problem. More recently, and for quite a few years now I've been using B.A.N.G. I like it mainly because it's an aerosol, not messy and it works. I've used it fishing for virtually everything I have fished for including walleyes, salmon and steelheads. I do believe using scents will get you more strikes on those days when the fish are in a "iffy" or "negative" mood. I also believe dipping them in gas would not hurt when the fish are jumping in the boat. :eek:I spray my lures once with the scent at the start of the day. If I keep catching fish I do not spray them again as this stuff isn't cheap.;):D Capt. Dan.

Edited by Walleye Express

I know cabelas has a sent called smelly jelly. I have the herring and salmon egg sent. They have several different flavors. I have used it with great results. It sticks to the lure very good and is very strong smelling. You can pull your lure out of the water 45 min later and still smell it.

I believe in clean hands and clean lures! After that, I like using scent on hard baits. The Berkley family of scents work for me. Hard to beet Gulp baits at times.

However, Mustad makes a pheromone feeding stimulant, that I am going to try this year. One of their tips is to keep fishing in an area where you find fish, as the stimulant disperses in the water.

http://www.mustad.no/activate/index.htm?id=92

• 3 weeks later...