Water Temp.

We went out of Ludington Saturday, trolled from the mouth of Pere Marquette Lake to the lighthouse north in 20' of water and never marked a fish in 8 miles. The water temp was around 34-38 degrees. I'm assuming that the water is too cold. What is the surface temp. where the guys are fishing in St. Joe and Muskegon? Are we just too early up here?

Thanks

Last Saturday when I caught my brown, it was 42 in the muddy water at Muskegon. the clear water was 38.

Yesterday in South Haven, the water temps in 20-30FOW at the surface were what Jarod said. In the after noon, after the son was up, the suface temp was almost 47. My down temp @ 15' was 41.

We stopped at the Porthole yesterday after leaving South Haven and they said that the rumor is most of the coho had moved out to 120' of water. In the spring it is good to target areas where warm water is entering the lake like stream mouths. If you are the first boat through it helps. This rain might help the water warm up.

Thanks for the great report. Reel World won't be in the Ludington until mid May. That's when things will get good in many spots around Ludville. No rush for us, too many good eatin fish to be had before then and I may try to sneak in a trip of two at the south end of the lake.

If I was in right now and the temps were that cold I wouldn't have left the harbor unless to go outside and run back and forth in front of the mouth.

It's tough fishing, but look for it to improve. As it was stated before, things get better when the temps are in the 40's.

Those types of conditions I favor running the small scorpin stingers in orange and gold, blue, purple, lime, orange and silver, froggie, white, grn dolph, and one that is green yellow orange with black dots. I run them on riggers, dipsys and slide divers. On boards I like black and gold,and black and silver rapalas. Also silver blue and white krocodiles. I have done good with these spoons in Traverse City, Suttons Bay, Platte Bay's, Frankfort, Ludington, Southhaven, St Joe, and Lake Erie.

I tried same area thursday also with no luck.With a cold North wind and waves kicking up I went back to P.M. lake.I went to south east side of lake behind Dow and hooked 2 browns within 1/2 hr on boards on fireballs with a 1 inch strip of smelt on hook. But i couldnt get the 3rd fish, but was great to be on the water .If you fish this area and are not familure with it make 1 pass towards rivermouth but watch depth as it comes from 18ft to 3 ft very fast making a north south pass ,beware of east pass till you know it better.This is the always the hot area when the lake hasnt turned over yet.

I didnt see raptor out and have been looking for his post but did see his boat at marinia.Not more than 4 boats in all marinias but alot are staged ready to go in.We usually are several weeks behind holland,muskegion but with this warm weather and rain the next 3 days it should pick up fast.The river mouths will be on fire as soon as runoff starts hitting lake,hope to see you out there.