Anyone running a honda 9.9 high thrust kicker? Curious as to anyones experience with this motor. I like the warranty on this motor as well as the 6 amp output at closed throttle with the electric start/tilt package for running the highlites. The tail end of my boat tapers down to about nothing so i think i am going to have to have a custom bracket made to get back far enough to clear the trim tabs which then makes the weight of the 4 stroke high thrust a possible support issue. Anyone have the same situation as i do on my boat?

striper_004_thumb.jpg

I guess my thought is with the way the new engines run is a kicker really a needed item anymore. As much as I like the safety idea and to reduce the hours on the main engine I wonder how many hours you have to troll to break even with the added cost. I guess if I was going to troll for several hours a day all season long it might make better sense to me. I put 215 hours on my boat last year roughly 170 hours trolling. At this rate it will be at least 10 years before I need to worry much about the main engine I really doubt I will still have this boat in 10 years as it will be pushing 30 years old by then. By the time I figure in the mounts and extra contols lines and wiring for my boat to add a kicker my cost is around 3grand or more on the low end. So based on expected use and time on my engine verses fuel savings I can't see doing better than breaking even in 10 years if I saved a gallon a hour now if gas goes back up to around 5 bucks a gallon that would shorten the pay back time but I would let the bank figure out what to do with the boat by then or trade it for something much smaller. Cause if not for using my auto pilot fund to buy gas last year the boat would have been sitting on the trailer most of the summer.

I have a Honda 9.9 kicker on my boat.

My transom is big enough for it to mount there.

The only issue I had was, the choke port was plugged when I got it.

A good carb cleaning fixed that. These motors have an accelerator pump on them (like you old carbed cars). When they are cold, you need to pump the handle like you used to pump your gas pedal. Other than that they are great motors. Mine will troll 12-15 hours on a 2 (or is it 2.5?) gallon tank.