Wire vs Copper Rigs

I need some advise on copper vs wire rigs. Which one is better, and why? I spoke with someone at Gold Coast yesterday, and he said copper was a pain in the butt, and wire was the way to go. I've never used either yet so I'm looking for some feedback from the group. I know wire, if kinked, is pretty much toast, but he said copper wasn't the way to go. Can wire be used on anything other than dipseys?:o:confused:

Like Don and Phil said. They both have there advantages.

The advantage to Copper over Lead Core is, the sink rate is in the area of 1.5 x what Lead Core is. 300' of Core will get you down roughly 40', 300' of Copper can get you down as much as 60'. These numbers will change with speed.

You will need a big real for 45# Copper. (min. 57 series)

Wire is used mainly as a deep Diver set up. I have 2 and they are my most productive rods.

I believe it's the wire that needs the special rod. Special meaning a roller rod. I was told you can run a Shimano 600 LC with the wire. I was also told, please correct me if I'm wrong, that you don't use a backer with wire only a mono leader. Not sure why this is yet, but I'm digging into it.

I believe it's the wire that needs the special rod. Special meaning a roller rod. I was told you can run a Shimano 600 LC with the wire. I was also told, please correct me if I'm wrong, that you don't use a backer with wire only a mono leader. Not sure why this is yet, but I'm digging into it.

So did some one tell you to run wire like you would run core?

I have never herd of any one putting a mono leader on wire.

No special rod or real for my Copper rig.

Yes a 600lc will hold 1000' of wire with no backer needed.

You can use wire like lead core it gets fairly deep on its own add a snap weight or dive bomb and they really get down. Always been popular setup as a pump handle or tail gunner with a large weight and send it out till it bounces then bring it back in a bit. Wire is for more than just divers. While not as heavy as Lead core or Copper the smaller dia wire gets down further then you might think.

Usually your copper rods have bigger eyelets. This is needed for the copper to pass through more easily. They also need bigger reels to hold all the copper. That is what I meant by needing the special rod and reel.

Around West MI most people use copper or lead for long trolling presentations, and wire only on the diver setups. In other parts of the lake some people use wire along with 1# balls, then a leader simular to the way we run copper or lead. (Thumper rod). As for letting out the copper, use the clicker as previously mentioned, but also make sure the tension nut on the reel is set properly and that will help eliminate backlash tremendously. Also, overfilling reels can cause trouble.

Well i am hoping that what everyone says is great. I just purchased two okuma blue diamond rods with reels and I am going to run the new 19 strand wire. WOW what a difference in the 19 strand and the 7 strand.. hopefully their as productive as everyone says