Dipsey Diver Color

Im with matt on this one. When Im targeting rainbows Ill use an orange or texas red diver with and orange spoon. If Im after salmon Ill use metallic green or glow if Im down deep. I guess when it comes to colors, use what you have faith in. If you believe in it, you will use it more and therefore it will be in the water more and you will get more hits on it- thats my theory anyway.

I have always changed my dipsy diver colors, just like spoon and flasher/fly colors. I fit the color to the sky and sun changes and this is all year long, no matter if it is a spoon or a flasher. I start every morning with 2 or 4 White/Crushed Pearl Glow Tape divers and as the sun gets higher I switch to 2 or 4 Chrome divers (this has been for the last 10-12 years). As previously stated, I sometimes will switch to Orange divers while offshore for steelhead, but we are usually trolling too fast to keep the divers in the water, so these are used very rarely. While offshore, we usually fish all surface boards and lead cores, with a deep downrigger. Hope this helps!!!

I tend to agree with Jim, I like the metallic colors. I also like to match the divers to the flasher/fly combos to let them work as one unit. Last summer we ran chrome on one side and metallic green on the other. Paired the green diver with a green spinny and green fly, but the chrome diver took fish with the same set up. For some reason I think the chrome goes with just about anything, on a sunny day you can see that chrome flashing quite a ways down.

For the most part i have eliminated running colored dipseys in my spreads. I still have (and run) some glow and some chrome dipseys but the majority of the time i run all black dipseys. While i think that some days certain colors will out produce black, I think running Black dipseys eliminates the need to search for that right combo of colored dipseys and bait. By running black dipseys you can spend your time more wisely on finding the right spoon or flasher/fly combo.

I use a clear diver on the port side and a green diver on the starboard side. That way I don't mess them up. I have tried different color divers with no real pattern emerging, so I went with this setup 2 years ago and have done well. Maybe I'll try black this year.

I am not sure if the color matters. I always run a red dipsey on the port side, and a green dipsey on the starboard side. This matches the running lights for the boat, and I never put them on the wrong side.

I have considered painting all of mine except the chrome ones black I honestly don't think the diver color matters much in most setups. We are not talking about a wiley adversary here Salmon will hit just about anything. They have a huge fast metabolism that requires them to keep eating till they begin their death march up the river to spawn. Yes there are times and conditions they are suspended and you have to convince them to take a bite but the rest of the time it is just a matter of right place and right time. People are always trying to tell me we should try a differant lure or make a change and my response is we just need to find the fish and run a good spread in front of them. They will tell us what they feel like eating or not then make some changes if need be. But most of the time it really is a matter of getting the lure in front of them.