Autopilots

I plan on installing an autopilot on my new boat and was wondering if anyone had experience with the Simrad Ap12R and 14R. Specifically, if it is worth the extra money to go with the 14R. If anyone has any experience with these units please let me know.

B.O.A.T. Aint it the truth??? :) Not hardly. A G will not suffice here. Auto Pilots are sure worth it. I'd get one myself but I get too much pleasure, yelling at the driver.:lol: Yep it would take all the joy out of being a grumpy old man.

I have heard a few complaints about them but all in all a good unit I would probably spend the extra money on the 14R but first make sure your steering cable will work. As you may have to change cables. I would have to cut a hole in the bulkhead and have it protrude into the Head or I would hv had one last year. Who knows I may even do it this year I really want a AP bad but lack the extra cash right now.

I installed a Simrad in my Starcraft Islander last yr. Had to swap out the rack & pinion steering cable with a rotary cable that I got from west marine for about $110. Replaceing the cable is the hardest part of the AP install. Took my son & I about a half day to complete the install.

I got the AP14R , I liked the ability control the AP from anywhere on the boat not just from a fixed position. If you are going to intigrate (sp) the AP with a chart plotter then the AP12 is fine. I like the compass display on the 14 head unit.

You won't be dissapointed with the Simrad AP whatever one you get.

You will wonder why you didn't get one yrs earlier

Brian

• 3 weeks later...