i recently went to a salmon seminar and listened to capt.vince from the saint say that he very rarely goes out past 75 feet...(i say 75 ft not as a quote...i dont know exactly how deep...but not very)what do you guys think of that....

I would assume Vince is speaking about the Spring and Fall, only when the water is cold and then again for the Salmon Run; those are the only 2 reasons to fish inside of 75 feet consistently. Once the water warms, he is out in 90-200 feet like everyone else.

one of the key puzzle pieces to find the fish is water temp, so thats why so many guys run some kind of temp probe to locate more productive water temps, kings generally hang in 42F-45F. after a long hot july you may have to get you DR balls down 50-70 fow in 100+fow to find more ideal water temps

If you really want to see where Vince fishes buy his old fishfinder he leaves nearly all his waypoints on them when he sells them. Vince does not beleive in driving past the fish to look for them and often fishes inside and out front when others drive right past him. However he does fish deep when he has to but as he says his job is to make sure people catch fish if he can find a way to do that without burning a lot of gas better for him. There were lots of days those of of who stayed in close did as well or better than those who look at the calander and say it is mid July we should start around 80 to 100 and move out from there. Those 3 and 4 year old fish by the end of June are thnking about the up coming spawn and want to feed heavily and not use any more energy than they have to so if they were out front at night feeding odds are they did not go very far. They are laying on the bottom not far from where the food is figure out how to wake them up and you have it made. Lots of guys have hooked up with Salmon in July perch fishing on the sand docks usually with the fish winning the battle cause who expects to hit a big king on your perch rig.

Vince knows what he is doing on the lake. If the thermocline is down 60', why do you need to be in 150 FOW? Why not set up in 60 FOW, and drop the balls to the bottom? When the lake rolls over, and the cold water is in close, you will find me in 30-50 FOW.

I have ran into Vince at depths of over 130'.