dive bombs

Does anyone know depths for the 3 and 4 oz. Dive Bombs? We have a Convector 45 spooled with 300' of 30# copper, looking to get it deeper for summer. Is it okay to attach a dive bomb to copper? Ive heard some folks say that they do this. If so how far in front of the leader do you put it?

I have also talked to guys putting Dive Bombs on lead to get deeper. Is this a good idea?

Pretty much all I have heard in regard to dive bombs depth is most say 1oz is about equal to 1 collor of core so speed dependant between 3 and 6 ft per ounce. I ran 2 4 oz DB on my 300 copper last year out deep and basiclly found out my inline boards won't pull that much as they would barely float under the load and would not track worth mentioning. So untill I get or build much bigger inline boards dive bombs and copper don't mix for me.

I run Dive Bombs almost every trip. Last year I spent a few hours testing the different size dive bombs and depths they achieved. I have a post located here with the depths I achieved.

I made a video last year on how to run them. It is located here.

I run Church walleye boards with a full core and a 4oz dive bomb without issues.

Off Shore standard boards was pulling 45lb copper with 2 4oz dive bombs one in the middle of the copper and one on the leader right at the copper connection. The board was tail dragging and did not want to track so I did not run it long. I am playing with the idea of building some bigger inline boards. Or possibly putting 2 of them together I am not sure yet some guys suggest going to the Church boards or the SST Off Shore boards but there is not a lot of size difference in them so I don't see a lot of gain. No matter what is is a lot to pull so I will play with it a bit I have also considered a set of out riggers for the copper but really need to know I can get it out past my divers or I just won't run it. The first time I ran copper I did not have it far enough away from the boat and a fish hit my high diver and got into the copper I got lucky and managed to clear it fast with no damage but learned a lesson about the underwater space all my stuff occupies and stacking long lines on top of them is not a good plan.

During the ludington tourney, saturday the fishing changed and they went deep. we were running 125 to 175 down on the riggers to get fish. our dihe puts it vers were 400 feet out mag size and the 300 copper was doing nothing. Our friend was running 450 with a 2 oz DB and 600 copper and was killing fish in the we put on the 4 ozs and the one rod the board never got fully out, and that was the start. i think a 300' with a 4 oz get real close to the hunderd feet they were hagning in. what i was told by a guy in ludington that runs these thing religiously is that on a 300 w a 2 oz will be running at a 450 depth and a 4 oz runs the 600 depth. Now the way he showed me is to clip on the mono line not the copper or coreabout 5 ft away from the copper.

Now for planer boards i had four sets of church boards that i just sold on craigs list. They dont work for copper well. the yellow offshore works well for lighter rigs. The best hands down pulling 300 copper and 4 oz DB works GREAT, we also ran a 450 with a 4 oz with no problem

I clip to my fluorocarbon leaders and have good success with copper, lead,mono,and dive bomb combo's. Last years stinger challenge most of our fish come on the outside board-

12# cajun red with the 3 oz dive bomb with the killer dolphin spoon that as far as know

has not been mass produced (unfortunately). If you got it try it!

I move the weight forward beyond the screw holes on the church boards when pulling copper and dive bomb combo. It takes some practice

so the board don't dive on you. With that said keep the rookies of the rods until the board is in the boat.

good luck

Edited by ELLIOT
board comment