refinishing teak

I guess there are other ways to do it, but I have always used a grinder machine and 240 grit sand paper grinding it down to nice looking wood.

Then I have used regular teak oil, apply oil once or twice a year and you won´t have to grind it again.

I know that there also is some teak cleaner liquid around, never tried it but it says on the bottle that it refreshens the teak again.

Good luck and let us see some before and after pics.

/Kjell

Another option that works pretty good is to hit it with a pressure washer if you have one. Dial down the pressure so it doesn't damage the wood. Its pretty painless this way. If your teak is varnished then this option won't work. I oil mine, so the pressure washer is the ticket for me.

• 7 months later...

This is how to restore Teak

I use this on my sailboats and I just restored the teak on the fishing rig FUGITIVE

Your Teak will look new and this will not fill the pours of the teak like sand paper or make it rough like power washing. And best of all it’s a whole lot cheaper.

Drain Lye (six ounces to each gallon of water) Red Devil Lye crystals can be

found at just about any store in the plumbing section.

1 Gallon of Apple Cider Vinegar (to neutralize the piece as soon as it is clean)

Lye can be neutralized fairly quickly after the Lye is applied with Apple Cider

Vinegar which also promotes a glorious color!

Potassium Hydroxide (Lye will really clean the heck out of your wood it will really bring the color out,

NEVER ADD WATER TO LYE. Always slowly add lye to water. Always add LYE to WATER.

I use a garden bug sprayer to apply both the Lye and Cider

Spray the entire piece with Lye and wait about five to ten minutes to truly allow the solution to work and clean before you rinse very well

with a hose (Make sure to rinse well). When you feel it is cleaned and rinsed, spray it with Apple Cider Vinegar all over the piece and your gloves to begin neutralizing

whatever you touched with the lye solution. If you have a piece that is real gray or dirty you can scrub with a sponge. (Don’t use anything abrasive)

The piece will get quite dark but will lighten as it dries. It will be clean as hell which is why the oil will work to bring those colors back out.

Do not wipe off the Cider just let it dry on the piece as it will prevent mold also.

6. After neutralizing the piece allow it to dry for a good day before oil.