Copper, novice needs an copper advice :-)

Hello!

I just bought some bigger reels that I plan use for copper.

Since it looks like I am the first fisherman ever to troll with copperline I need some advice.

My reels are two Tekota 800 and one Tekota 700, I am planning on running two reels on inline planerboards and one of the copperlines straight behind the boat.

Where do I buy copper? what kind of copper line(brands) do you guys recomend?

I am thinking of using 50lb power pro as backing.

Which length should I use on the copper? We are fishing atleast down to 100´deep.

Why don´t just some of you come to Sweden to show me how you do this?

:grin:

back to copper, I need to know everything, what to do, and what NOT to do lol.

Thanks in advance.

/Kjell

Btw, I have searched and read all copper post but things are changing as times go by, so I guess you guys got some new trix.

My reels are two Tekota 800 and one Tekota 700, I am planning on running two reels on inline planerboards and one of the copperlines straight behind the boat.

OK, a Tekota 800 will hold a maximum of 450' of 45lb copper with 300 yards of 50lb power pro backing. A Tekota 700 will hold up to 300' of 45lb copper with 300 yards of power pro backing.

Where do I buy copper? what kind of copper line(brands) do you guys recomend?

ATOMIK Manufacturing sells the most copper on Lake Ontario. Here is his website:

http://www.atommiktrollingflies.com/misc.htm

http://www.atommiktrollingflies.com/037_Copper.htm

I am thinking of using 50lb power pro as backing.

This is mandatory for > 400' sections of copper. If you are running a 300 copper than you don't need 50lb, and you can get by with 40lb.

Which length should I use on the copper? We are fishing atleast down to 100´deep.

With copper (45# ATOMIK) running a flasher fly will get you down 20' for every 100' of copper in the water. Running a spoon it increases to a depth of 22' for every 100' of copper in the water.

So, to achieve the depth you want the reels you bought can't hold that amount of copper. They are great for 60-80' depths though. If you want to get down to 100 or even 120-130 you HAVE to run it on a Penn 345 or an Okuma 55CL. I'm a copper freak and have been for about 2 years now. I don't know everything, but I understand it. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask away!

PS......if you want to pay for me and my GF to fly to Sweden I could help you learn how to run copper! :lol:

I personally like 30 pound copper better than 45 pound, but the 45 pound gets you deeper quicker, but isn't as user-friendly as the 30 pound.

I have always used Opti-Tackle 30 and 45 pound copper.

I would recommend having (2) 450 feet coppers on your 800s and (1) 300 foot copper on your 700. These will get you down around 75-130 feet down.

The 50 pound PowerPro is a great idea no matter how much copper you are using.

Let me know if you have more questions!!!

Sean

Have i got a deal for you ha ha.....I believe i have 2 of your rods already rigged with copper from last year. We did so well off of the 2 i had that i decided to try throwing a couple more into the spread and low and behold i found a couple of rod/reel combos someone had left on my boat!! I think i have 45# on them but rigged them a little shorter than my others 200' i think:D

Crap, I just found that since I´m fishing in brackish water I might experience that the copper might corrode bacause of the small amounts of salt water...

But, I remember reading somewhere about a coated or tinned copper wire, does any of you "copper gurus" out there know anythink about this wire? I remember reading that it looked like SS wire.

And do you have any info on what kind of problem I might get using regular copper wire?

Thanks in advance.

Kjell

Here is another tip not mentioned yet. You need to be very carefull in deploying copper line. Keep your clicker button on and strip it out or keep your thumb on the spool. It will back lash very easily if you free spool it and try to let it out quickly. More so on the 45 lb copper than the 30lb.