White River today

Fished the White today below Hesperia for Steelhead well no steelhead to be found today. However my fater in law caught the biggest Walleye of his life today since we were wading neither of us had a camera and the fish had to be released. The fish hit a spawn bag and tore it up for quite a while before I waded out with the net and got it. No scales no tape just a huge fish at least 30 in long maybe 32 in and fat, hand guess about 9lbs. About 20 min later he gets a second fish at least 25 or better long and also fat and heavy. we fished that same stretch of river all afternoon and pulled at least 60 suckers out of that hole in 6 hours. To top it off I slamed a huge Walleye as well as big as dads first one though he says mine was a little smaller ok today he got the most suckers and I will give him the biggest Walleye as well but mine was so close to his it could have been the same fish we released earlier as I caught mine close to 3 hours after his. Except for a couple suckers we gave away all the fish went back in the water and swam away.

Jim.

Walleyes are sized pretty much the same way steelheads are. And this length to weight scale is very accurate. A 30 inch walleye will weigh 10 pounds as does a steelhead in good condition. Now if the walleye was bulging with spawn, it can according to DNR records (and in rare instances) put on as much as an additionl 3 pounds of weight. The usual additional spawning weight is about 1 to 1 /2 pounds of egg weight. Both walleyes and steelheads will start say 22 inches 2 pounds. 23/3 pounds. 24/4 pounds and so on. I used to get a lot of laughs when guiding for stellehead all those years, when asking clients how much they thought their 26 or 27 inch steelie weighed. Some of the guessed weights were off the charts. :no::grin:

Thanks Dan I know they were at least 30in fish and figured 9 lbs was a safe bet as to weight. Sadly dad overdid it yesterday and was too sore to go again this morning but the look on his face was worth it when I netted his big Walleye. He has been one of the best fishing partners I have ever had as how can your wife complain about the cost of taking her dad fishing.

It's weird how in-laws can become a better and more perminent part of your life even if you and their close relative part ways. My brother-in-laws from my first marriage have been close friends of mine even after me and their sister parted ways. But I taught those three boys to fish, hunt and trap between very long hours working on their family farm.

im just wondering has the steelhead run started up there yet or is it almost over. down here on the k-zoo and the rabbit things have slowed to a standstill for teresa and me anyway. dont know if there almost done or if another big run is on its way

The steelhead are running pretty good we just did not find any in the hole we were fishing saw a few pass thru but no takers on what we offered. I have no doubt in my mind there were steelhead in the hole we just could not coax them into hitting. I saw a few fish hitting Stone flies landing on the surface made me wish I had brought the flie rod. They may have been brooke trout or browns but next time will have my fly rod along. After lunch we just kinda gave up on the Steelhead and had a blast with all the suckers and the bonus Walleye's and to be honest we had a blast and fished till we were out of bait. There was some serious snags across from where we were standing and a nice quiet section of water that I could not fish with spining gear I would have love to lay a few flies over there but was not setup for it. Next time will be differant may try again Monday as I am sure it will be shoulder to shoulder this weekend there are a lot of fish in the river right now.

im just wondering has the steelhead run started up there yet or is it almost over. down here on the k-zoo and the rabbit things have slowed to a standstill for teresa and me anyway. dont know if there almost done or if another big run is on its way

went 3-4 this morning up here rodger